+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Your favorite Stephen King book?

Quote Originally Posted by justice27 View Post
    1. The Mist (novella)
    2. Salems Lot
    3. The Stand
    4. The short story where the kids swim to the wood platform in the middle of the lake and the slimy black oil starts to attack them.Creepy! (I believe The Mist was in the same book)
    5. Desperation
    Great picks! .up The short story you're talking about is called "The Raft" and yep, it's a personal fave of mine as well. Skeleton Crew as a whole is fabulous, arguably his most consistent collection of short stories. Night Shift has some amazing highlights, but it also has some obvious stinkers ("The Mangler", anyone? I suppose that, technically, "Grey Matter" qualifies as another stinker, but I have too much love for the sheer improbability and gore of it). Same thing with Nightmares and Dreamscapes and Everything's Eventual.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I had a huge collection of Stephen King. I would hole up and read every book I could and get scared silly. Then one day I woke up, decided it was pretty dark stuff and I didn't want that any more. I sold every book I had at a Garage Sale. Most of it to one guy. They were in mint condition. I have no desire to read more of him. Too scary.

Those I remember:
    The Black Tower, the Gunslinger,
    The Drawing of the Three
    The Talisman
    Thinner
    The Stand
    Needful Things
    The Tommyknockers
    The Dark Half
    Misery
    It
    Graveyard Shift
    Pet Cemetery
    The Running Man
    A Return to Salem's Lot
    Cat's Eye
    Firestarter
    Christine
    The Dead Zone
    Cujo
    Creepshow
    The Boogeyman
    The Shining
    Salem's Lot
    Carrie
    and of course the X-files on tv
    Last edited by misskitty; 06-14-2006 at 01:48 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Ooh, X-Files mention! Stephen King is a huge fan and wrote an episode called "Chinga" in season 5. It's a pretty good episode - scary and humorous at the same time, with a distinct Stephen King feel - but I can't help feeling that he got the characters, especially Scully (who was the most prominent character in the episode), all wrong. They talked and acted out of character during most of the episode. Still, X-Files and Stephen King together? Pop culture heaven.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Black Belt Beauty KarateGirl1387's Avatar
    Hey misskitty, how exactly scary was 'Pet Semetary?' I've heard it is King's scariest novel (I've seen the movie on TV a few times and thought it was kinda fluffy), but since I get scared easily I'm kind of afraid to start reading it.
    "Dancing is the vertical expression of a horizontal desire."

My favourites of Mr. King's are Danse Macabre and The Stand. I have one minor, but very irritating, problem with The Stand however - the lyrics to the song that made Larry Underwood famous. They just reminded me far too much of the fake bands that they used to have playing on "hip" 60s and 70s television shows, long before they got real (or at least realistic) bands playing. And its quite surprising because Mr. King is an old rock 'n roller at heart and you'd think he could have done a little better.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

The Stand, hands down. I am still looking over my shoulder for signs that the end is coming since reading that book 10 YEARS AGO!
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by MHayes62 View Post
    Tom Gordon is not one of his best, not by a long shot. Please don't judge all his work based on that one mediocre book. There are many, many great books that cover all sorts of different tastes written by King. If you don't like Tom Gordon, come back and describe the type of book you like. I'll bet King has a book that will suit your tastes better.
    I agree with the above - I didn't / couldn't even finish The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. I also couldn't finish Dreamcatcher. Just couldn't get into it. And I didn't really like The Tommyknockers. But again, he has such a wide variety of books to cover all sorts of tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by MHayes62 View Post
    I agree completely! I think because, unlike almost all Kings other stories, Misery could happen in real life, it has a special creepiness to it. And no scene stands out in my memory more than the hobbling scene.
    I agree about Misery but the other one that has the same creepiness is Gerald's Game. That could happen in real life and it really freaked me out to think of being in that situation. Gives me the willies just thinking about it. Gerald's Game also includes a link to Dolores Claiborne and vice versa. I love how he does that - creates links for his Constant Readers to find and make the connections.

I really loved all of his short story collections, and really liked the Bachman Books - Thinner/The Long Walk/Rage/RoadWork.
    Bag of Bones is another favorite and The Storm of the Century is as well.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    I had a huge collection of Stephen King. I would hole up and read every book I could and get scared silly. Then one day I woke up, decided it was pretty dark stuff and I didn't want that any more. I sold every book I had at a Garage Sale. Most of it to one guy. They were in mint condition. I have no desire to read more of him. Too scary.

Those I remember:
    The Black Tower, the Gunslinger,
    The Drawing of the Three
    The Talisman
    Thinner
    The Stand
    Needful Things
    The Tommyknockers
    The Dark Half
    Misery
    It
    Graveyard Shift
    Pet Cemetery
    The Running Man
    A Return to Salem's Lot
    Cat's Eye
    Firestarter
    Christine
    The Dead Zone
    Cujo
    Creepshow
    The Boogeyman
    The Shining
    Salem's Lot
    Carrie
    I had almost the same list - I would buy all the hard covers at Half Priced Stores, etc., and then one day decided to get rid of them. A friend of mine was selling her set of the books for about $300 or $400 but not sure if she still has them or not. I'll have to check!

Carrie
    The Stand*
    Christine
    Thinner
    It
    Salem's Lot

*Read the edited and the unabridged versions. Naturally, the unabridged version was tons better. From the replies of you guys, it appears that I'm definitely behind concerning King's other creations (time for me to catch up on much).

FORT Fan
    I would have to say The Stand as well.

+ Reply to Thread