+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Your favorite Stephen King book?

Kiz

Re: Your favorite Stephen King book?

nana, I felt the same as you. I was a huge fan of King's earlier books, but I haven't read him for years, probably not since the mid 80s. However, I received 11/22/63 as a gift, and I can't put it down. I've also lost sleep trying to get to a dull part to put it down and not finding one.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Darn it! Now I have to rack up more money spent at Amazon. The date lives on in infamy, but what does King do with it? Don't tell me.

ETA: Well, it will have to wait at $15 on Kindle. I did pick up Nephalim, Genesis of Evil (with good reviews) for $3, though.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 01-31-2012 at 10:09 PM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Fort Member

The Stand was always my favourite and occupied many hours of my teenage life reading it, it seemed like such a massive book back then. I also loved IT and Salems Lot, but it was his short stories that I loved most of all
    The Mist and The Raft gave me nightmares for weeks after I read them and the Body was just so good and probably the only one of his that has been made into a movie that I have actually enjoyed, the Bachman books were fantastic. There are some others that really either scared or kept me enthralled for days and I had a great collection of his books as everyone would buy me them for Christmas. Then I just stopped loving them, not sure what happened but I struggled to get through Thinner and the last straw was Delores Claiborne. I just couldnt do it any more and have not picked up a Stephen King book in ten years
    Just talking about them though has renewed my worry about the Mist, and my imagination is again off and running with what the hell will they do when they run out of petrol???? And I am tearing up thinking of the Long Walk and how they could have gotten away. Oh damn. Should not have opened this thread

I have to go with my first and still all-timey favorite: IT. The first time I read it (no pun intended), I was the same age as the main characters during the "childhood in Derry" stuff, so those passages rang true for me...er, having never fought a giant, galactic shape-changing spider/clown, myself. I was so pleased to see Richie and Bev again in 11/22/63, which is now one of my top five favorite King books, as well. (See what I did there?) I could not put it down. I think 11/22 will go down as one of King's very best.
    Jamie5632 and PGM35 like this.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by phat32 View Post
    I have to go with my first and still all-timey favorite: IT. The first time I read it (no pun intended), I was the same age as the main characters during the "childhood in Derry" stuff, so those passages rang true for me...er, having never fought a giant, galactic shape-changing spider/clown, myself. I was so pleased to see Richie and Bev again in 11/22/63, which is now one of my top five favorite King books, as well. (See what I did there?) I could not put it down. I think 11/22 will go down as one of King's very best.
    Haven't seen you in a while!

Stephen King is my favorite! My fav book is The Stand. Read it in college instead of studying for finals ( the new updated version that is). I am currently reading 11/22/63.

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35 View Post
    Haven't seen you in a while!

Stephen King is my favorite! My fav book is The Stand. Read it in college instead of studying for finals ( the new updated version that is). I am currently reading 11/22/63.
    If memory serves, there was a very interesting discussion about The Stand on this forum.

(After performing an exhaustive search using FoRT's search tool then hitting it in seconds with Google: Here it is.)
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

My all-time favorite book-THE STAND! I read it at least once a year!

Quote Originally Posted by phat32 View Post
    Nice Avatar.... and It is my favorite King book as well! So engrossing... the first time I read it, I couldn't put it down... I ended up reading it in 2 days.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Surprised no one has mentioned The Dark Tower Series and the movie that is coming out. I loved the series but have to admit that I haven't finished it. Books 6-8 sit on my shelf, unread.

Just saw this thread for the first time. I've always loved Stephen King's books...some more than others, of course.
    Think nothing could never be as great as The Stand. For many reasons.
    But also, something really hit me when I read the little known book titled From a Buick 8.
    Can't give a reason why but it just seemed like the perfect combo of good writing and just enough "creepiness."
    PS, PGM35, your hair looks great! New color??

+ Reply to Thread