+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Your favorite Stephen King book?

Re: Your favorite Stephen King book?

In my opinion, Just After Sunset had one amazing story - "N" - and a few decent ones, but it's nowhere near his earlier collections. I do have his latest collection - it's more of a novella collection, really - called Full Dark, No Stars all lined up and ready to go, though. Have heard great things about it. Oh, and how great doesn't King's upcoming novel, due to be published in November, sound?! Amazon.com: 11/22/63: A Novel (9781451627282): Stephen King: Books
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I think my favorite King short story is "Dolan's Cadillac" from Nightmares and Dreamscapes (his 5th collection). Nothing supernatural in it, just a riveting and scary story told very well. It's about novella length, too, if I recollect.

Thanks for the link, geek the girl. I need me an SK read.
    PGM35 likes this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I cant wait for his new book to come out. The subject is fascinating.

I loved quite a bit of his early work, novels and short stories, and have loathed pretty much every thing I've read of his for the last 15 years or more.

Him and his wannabe Koontz, they seem to me to tell the same story endlessly and boringly.

Teasing flashback followed by the same flashback, followed by the same flashback (repeat as needed to milk another buck).

I'll admit, I haven't read many of their latest, but now and again I'll pick up another of their works that the critics wet their pants gushing over, only to encounter the same crappy formula.

They may have good stories left to tell; I just haven't personally run across one in more than a decade.

I'll re-read Salem's Lot, The Shining, Christine and his early short stories before investing too much time in the latter King.
    AZChristian likes this.

It... anyone who was a misfit child can only dream of saving the world and fighting the monster.... he put it into words.... I can't say anything more....
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

I fell in love with Stephen King when I read "Pet Semetary" while sick in bed with pneumonia many Christmases ago. Had my hubby go to the library the next day to get me several other King books, which I read through quickly while recuperating (and I had the nightmares to prove it). I was a pretty big fan for many years afterwards.

A few years ago, I picked up "The Cell" to read during vanpool trips back and forth to work. It was a fairly good story until the last page. I hated the ending SO MUCH that I vowed to never read another King book, and I never have. And I've met several other people who had the same reaction to the same book.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    In my opinion, Just After Sunset had one amazing story - "N" - and a few decent ones, but it's nowhere near his earlier collections. I do have his latest collection - it's more of a novella collection, really - called Full Dark, No Stars all lined up and ready to go, though. Have heard great things about it. Oh, and how great doesn't King's upcoming novel, due to be published in November, sound?! Amazon.com: 11/22/63: A Novel (9781451627282): Stephen King: Books
    Oooh, that does sound good. I also like that it's a long one (thousand pages?!? Woo-hoo!). I have a particular liking for his stories that are set back in the 60's.

Full Dark, No Stars was excellent. King's novellas are can't-miss for me.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Has anyone read his new one, just released. I believe it's title is Mile 81 ? Nook had it for a pre-order at $2.99 for about a month. I believe it's still at that price. I didn't download it, because I'd like to know if it's any good before I do. The story synopsis looks interesting
    When I read the reader reviews, most of them were written BEFORE the book even came out!?!?!? That makes no sense at all, so I'm skeptical.
    I'd appreciate any reviews from FORTers.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Just visiting this planet nanaslbkp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoaster View Post
    I loved quite a bit of his early work, novels and short stories, and have loathed pretty much every thing I've read of his for the last 15 years or more.

Him and his wannabe Koontz, they seem to me to tell the same story endlessly and boringly.

Teasing flashback followed by the same flashback, followed by the same flashback (repeat as needed to milk another buck).

I'll admit, I haven't read many of their latest, but now and again I'll pick up another of their works that the critics wet their pants gushing over, only to encounter the same crappy formula.

They may have good stories left to tell; I just haven't personally run across one in more than a decade.

I'll re-read Salem's Lot, The Shining, Christine and his early short stories before investing too much time in the latter King.
    I don't know if you have tried two of his recent ones. "Under The Dome" was excellent and I just finished "11/22/63" and it was fantastic! You won't be disappointed! Good times reading...
    The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man.

I've been disenchanted lately, but nanaslbkp is right; "Under the Dome" and "11/22/63" were both really good. I literally lost sleep trying to get through "11/22/63" because I was so interested in it.
    Wag more, bark less

+ Reply to Thread