+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Reading to your kids

FORT Fogey
    Okay, guys, I started the children's book thread....so check it out ok?

FORT Fogey
    And it begs the question: why Macbeth? Greed, blood, gore, death...oh yeah, real good alternative to Dr. Seuss right there.
    So true....at least start the little tykes off with a mild suicide like Romeo & Juliet.....

I've been reading to my 8 yr old since birth and now he reads on his own and just finished the 3rd Potter book, my 6yr old needs some more help but it is so fun!!

FORT Fogey
    Oh if I ever have kids, I will definetly read to them. I was read to every day and now I am addicted to reading. I read for 30 minutes plus every night and I think I love it so much because of my parents. Im sure that your kids will be good readers even if you don't read to them, but it probably determines whether or not they like reading. I dunno.

I have a 3 year old daughter and I work with kids under the age of 5. I read to them every single day. It is very important to read to children. Study after study has been done on the beneficial effects.. most importantly its alone time that you spend with your child. It sends the message that they are important in your life. It builds self-esteem. We have all heard 'use it or lose it' well, the brain is a muscle it needs to be used to become and remain strong. Birth to 6 is when you do your most important learning. You learn to sharing, compassion, empathy, claiming responsibility, the building blocks of 'character'
    You don't send your child off to school with no breakfast and say ahh .. he's good until lunch, he can catch up then. Reading to your child gives them a good start, a solid jumping off point.
    I am an advocate.
    A big ole "I hear ya" to parents who read the same book over and over again, Pooh's Checkup and Berenstain Bears Go To School have been replaced twice at our house.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

You said it so well, Duxxy!

I'm off to find that fave books thread.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234