+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reading to your kids

Bad choice of words on my part. I meant that I'm amazed that he learned to read well (he says he initially learned from Sesame Street) in spite of his parents bad judgement.

Paulie-I know what you mean about the favorite book syndrome. My 22 month old has now been through three copies of "The Eye Book" by Dr. Suess. Better be prepared to buy replacements the first couple years.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    Paulie-I know what you mean about the favorite book syndrome. My 22 month old has now been through three copies of "The Eye Book" by Dr. Suess. Better be prepared to buy replacements the first couple years.
    My three-year-old brought his big "Dinosaur Hunt" book into the swimming pool with him! A woman asked my wife, "Um, is that book waterproof?" She turned and saw him dragging it along behind him in the water.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I know I had books when I was young. Did my mom read to me? I dunno.

Reading can help with development, but I'm not sure that NOT reading to kids is a hindrance they can't overcome.

to John's post.

My parents never read to me when I was young. I didn't really start reading until I was 6, and, even then, my first books came from a set of "children's" history series called A Dream of 5000 Years (it told the entirety of Chinese ancient history with graphic cartoons as aids. And yes, there was blood.)

I mean, it would have been *very* nice if I had been read to when I was just a wee babe, with gentle books about dinasaurs or green eggs and ham. However, overall I can't see how the lack of such attention to detail on my parents' part has been detrimental to my development.

I agree with nausicca and John. As with my husband, kids who want to learn can learn regardless of circumstance. Not being read to is not a hurdle that can't be overcome. However, I do think it creates a hurdle. I think its much easier for kids who have been given an early opportunity to enjoy books.

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

It just seems like if you know it will have a positive influence on your kid, why not do it? I guess there are people who feed their kids nothing but fast food and candy, too.

My daughter won't let me read to her any more, she has to read it herself, so we evolved our one-on-one reading into book time on Mommy's bed. We each bring a stack of books, and usually she'll relent and let me read one of them to her. She reads books with Dad, though, every night.

On the flip side, I've seen parents that go way overboard with flash cards and force feeding the alphabet down their throats when they're too young. I got together with a friend from college who had her baby same time as me recently. Her daughter is very impressive and can read somewhat by herself, but she could not climb up a play structure at the park without her mom's help, and couldn't go down the slide by herself. I was floored by that. It wasn't a whim, she physically is uncoordinated. They spent the first 3 years of her life drilling her on book learning to the point where she's physically stunted! She says they never go to the park (I got the feeling that it stressed the mom out). They really need to play, play, & more play before school age.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

When I was in prenatal class I won a book for our son. We still have that book and many, many more. Books are brainfood, but so are toys. Our kids like to reenact stories with their toys as the characters. It does not matter if it is a story from a book or movie. They have so much fun.

My son is required to read 20 books a month in Kindergarten. It is more like 20 books a week at our house. We are talking no repeats. Though he does like to read books over and over, we only count a book if he has not read it previously. He already has 30 listed for the month of October. We ran out of room on his September list. We wrote on the front and back of the page and then when we turned it in he got a prize out of the class treasure chest. You can bet that our library card gets a work-out. We go to the library at least every other Tuesday while my daughter is in ballet class. My son has a great time choosing his books and my daughter loves being surprised by what we bring back. They are really learning the value of treating books well so that others can enjoy them. Some of the library books are damaged when we get them and that makes the kids sad. Now they treat their own books better and do their best to return the books to the library in as good condition as they got them.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

FORT Fogey
    I have always loved to read to my daughter and she loves it too. We are now doing " chapter books" starting w/the Little House series. I remember her teething on her favorite "moo, baa, lalala" it was a great book. I think it has helped her a lot in her learning to read.

My sister & her kids read Harry Potter aloud when they're on family trips - even though they have all read all the books many times. They jump in excited to get on the road!

I loved Laura Ignalls Wilder! Another great one waiting on my bookshelf for my daughter to grow up is Lucy Maude Montgomery (Ann of Green Gables series).
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    My sister & her kids read Harry Potter aloud when they're on family trips - even though they have all read all the books many times. They jump in excited to get on the road!

I loved Laura Ignalls Wilder! Another great one waiting on my bookshelf for my daughter to grow up is Lucy Maude Montgomery (Ann of Green Gables series).
    We should start a thread about our favorite books from childhood I LOVED Laura Ingalls and Anne of Green Gables.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast