+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite mystery series/hero?

Its hard for me to think in terms of favorites, there are too many good heroes and heroines out there.

Thought I would give a plug for a new guy I ran across recently:

James Swain's investigator Tony Valentine

Tony is an old school hard boiled kind of guy, retired cop who used his talent in detecting gaming cheats in creating a second profession.

While based in Florida, Tony gets around, going where the action is, whether locally or in Vegas and Atlantic City. He has a worthless son who has based his own profession on getting into scrapes for his dad to bail him out of, though there is still hope for him.

Great series so far. I've only run across 4 books in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by gaby

Can't say the same for those Cornwell books. I lost interest when she has to spend a chapter of every book explaining how fabulous she is... living in her million dollar home driving her expensive Mercedes... I always wonder exactly how much money the state paid that Scarpetta woman... As far as her earlier work .... Potters Field was the one that creeped me out the most.
    I agree. Scarpetta also got very self involved. I noticed it in The Last Precinct. Everything had to do with her...regardless of how it looked. Blow Fly was ok, but not that good. Kind of boring. Although, I like the concentration on the other characters and not much on Scarpetta. I am going to giver her one more shot with her new book. I can't remember the name, but I have it on hold at the library. If it is a bad, I will quit the series all together.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood
    I agree. Scarpetta also got very self involved. I noticed it in The Last Precinct. Everything had to do with her...regardless of how it looked. Blow Fly was ok, but not that good. Kind of boring. Although, I like the concentration on the other characters and not much on Scarpetta. I am going to giver her one more shot with her new book. I can't remember the name, but I have it on hold at the library. If it is a bad, I will quit the series all together.
    The new book is called Trace I think, I have it on reserve at the library also. lol

Quote Originally Posted by likeafox
    Anyone remember Cherry Ames? Also, there was a spin-off from that book featuring a woman named Vicky, but I don't remember her last name. Cherry was a nurse, and Vicky was a stewardess. I can't believe I got rid of those books.
    Cherry Ames and her twin brother Charlie! I loved them. In childhood, also read Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys, then by high school and on through adulthood, I;ve read Agatha Christie's detectives, Ngaio Marsh, Rex Stout,
    the early Travis McGree books, Perry Mason, Sherlock Holmes, of course.

Also, Perry Mason, 87th Precinct, and Isaac Asimov's Black Widower's stories.

I didn't care for Blow Fly at all and agree that she's become self involved. Further, in the previous books there was always an "ick" factor given the nature of the genre and Scarpetta's job. However, with Blow Fly, the "ick" factor was over done and seemed just for the sake of "ick".

Also, I was a little torn on the Benton aspect. I always liked Benton and missed him but......

Anyway, I'm not as excited as I ususally am when a new Scarpetta is released.

Stephanie Plum, my fellow Jersey girl!
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

I don't know if this has mass appeal, but I'm into a short series of art-history-related murder-mysteries by Iain Pears. They don't require any real art-history knowledge, and generally involve theft or forgery of various paintings, investigated by an Italian police-woman and her English sometime-boyfriend. They're fast-paced, droll and pretty entertaining. Plus they're somewhat educational as to the world of art dealers. Look for the "Jonathan Argyll" ones -- Pears has written other books outside this series (which I have not yet read).
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

My favorite detective has to be Koko from Lillian Jackson Brauns' books. Qwillerian isn't bad either, but Koko is the cat's meow!

Quote Originally Posted by emeraldsong
    My favorite detective has to be Koko from Lillian Jackson Brauns' books. Qwillerian isn't bad either, but Koko is the cat's meow!
    OH YES! - I have all the cat who books... I love those two felines.

Mystery that I like:
    The Cat who... of course
    A is for, B is for, C is for etc etc .. Sue Graftons', Kinsey Milhone series I have all of those also A-R and I think I have S on order from the mystery guild (eep, sometimes I wish I'd never found that website.. $$$$$)
    Perry Mason
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel
    OH YES! - I have all the cat who books... I love those two felines.
    Me too! Koko and Yum Yum are great. I've read all the books and have most of them. They're so entertaining. I feel as if I know all the characters in Brrr and Pickaxe. I especially love Polly - I think she's too good for Qwill. The only thing is they're just too short. I read them all in one night.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

+ Reply to Thread