+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite mystery series/hero?

Jack Ryan - Tom Clancy novels. Don't know if this could be considered a series but in my mind close enough.
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

Jay
    Dirk Pitt from the Clive Cussler novels. These aren't mystery novels. But if you are looking for an action series, look no further.

I like the Babysitters Club mysteries.

Passionate, compassionate ShirleyUgest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HomerRules
    Dirk Pitt from the Clive Cussler novels. These aren't mystery novels. But if you are looking for an action series, look no further.
    Hey! My favorite too! I feel like they are such GUY books, but I love them anyway.

Shirl
    All your life people will tell you things. Most of the time, probably 95% of the time... what they tell you will be wrong. ~Ian Malcolm

Jay
    Shirley, I seem to recall that Cussler is retiring soon and won't be penning Dirk Pitt novels for much longer.

FORT Fan
    I don't really read mysteries anymore... but I enjoyed Trixie Belden as a kid (I had a crush on Jim (ha!). I read alot of Agatha at about the same period and I loved Poirot.

The Scarpetta books from Patricia Cornwell.
    The Lazarus/Decker books from Faye Kellerman.
    The Delaware books from Jonathan Kellerman.
    The Sneaky Pie books from Rita Mae Brown.
    The Cat Who books from Lillian Jackson Braun.
    The Kat books from Karen Kiljewski.
    Sherlock Holmes from Arthur Conan Doyle.

As a kid, I really used to enjoy the Brains Benton books and the Phyllis E. Whitley (Or is is Whitney? SO long ago!) mystery books. Also Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys and the Saturday Gang.

Passionate, compassionate ShirleyUgest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HomerRules
    Cussler is retiring soon and won't be penning Dirk Pitt novels for much longer.
    I KNOW!!! I heard the same thing. Say it isn't SO!

Sigh... First LaVyrle Spencer, and now Clive Cussler. Dean Koontz better be writing for a long long time.

Shirl
    All your life people will tell you things. Most of the time, probably 95% of the time... what they tell you will be wrong. ~Ian Malcolm

The Alex Delaware series by Jonathan Kellerman
    The Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly

And, recently, I read A Drink Before the War by Dennis Lehane (Mystic River) and liked Patrick McKenzie very much. If I find the rest of the series used, I might pick them up. (I just re-read what I wrote, and, boy, if that's not damning with faint praise, I don't know what is!)

How about a least favorite list?

The Scarpetta novels by Patricia Cornwell. (Sorry, Ness!)

The Stone Barrington character by Stuart Woods. I had nothing better to do on my lunch break one day, so I walked into a pharmacy and picked through the meager offerings until I found this Woods book.

Stone Barrington suffers from the affliction that affect so many mystery characters: He's rich, he's tough, and he's a lady-killer. In other words, he's a stereotype. (He has girlfriends who say things like, "Oh, drat, Stone! We'll be late for the Countess' ball! If you force me to be a social outcast, you rogue you, I shall have to take a new lover!")
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I've got to recommend Lindsey Davis series about Roman investigator Falco. They are set in Ancient Rome but are written with a real sense of style and humour. The first book is called the Silver Pigs. You have got to read them in order. They have everything, mystery, adventure, love and a myriad of wonderful characters.

+ Reply to Thread