+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite mystery series/hero?

Oh, much better. Timothy Hutton as Archie is a total outrage. He's much more competent, capable, and just all-around COOL in the books.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

FORT Fogey
    I am into Mitch Rapp the assasin outed then put into the CIA in Vince FLynn novels.

I have also become a little embarassed that I like Eve Dallas in the JD Robb novels.

Princess
    Don't know if they are classified as "mystery novels", but I too like Scarpetta .
    All Agatha Christie's detectives are quite good too - classics.
    Talking classics - Dorothy Sayers... and yes, Sherlock Holmes, of course!
    Elisabeth Georges' books are great too.
    Thomas Perry - the series where his main carachter is a native indian woman who helps people to get a new identity. Very good.

Quote Originally Posted by YCan'tAngieRead
    The Stephanie Plum series is great brain candy. In that same vein are two others I forgot:
    -Bubbles Yablonsky from the Sarah Strohmeyer Bubbles series
    -And the guy who does the "The Hearse You Rode In On" series...name escapes me at the moment.

If you like Evanovich, you'll like those two.
    Wow, thanks for the reccomendations. I listen all day at work and am always on the lookout for new books.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

I like the I.M. Fletcher character in Gregory MacDonalds series and his other Character Flynn. Also anything by Carl Hiaason. Find his stuff real good too.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

On Hiatus
    I forgot to mention a series that I'm in the middle of reading at the moment:
    -Carl Houseman et al. by Donald Harstad. Very midwesterny, for those of us from smaller towns it's fun.

And I forgot about Thomas Perry! I think I read something from him a while back, but I really liked it. This is why (yes, I'm a nerd) started keeping a journal of all the books I want to read.
    "Ashleigh": I just think it's sleazy. It's dirty.
    Matt: Welcome to television!
    -The Joe Schmo Show

FORT Fogey
    My first favorite books to read as a mystery were Trixie Belden she was sort of the 1970's Nancy Drew!

On Hiatus
    Oooooo! Trixie Belden! I LOVED her. It was the first book series that I really started reading and I read them over and over again. I can blame those books for me being a mystery hoarder now.
    "Ashleigh": I just think it's sleazy. It's dirty.
    Matt: Welcome to television!
    -The Joe Schmo Show

Holy crap. I thought I was the only person on the planet who read Trixie. When I got to be about 12, my mom gave all my Trixie Belden books to the daughter of a family friend. When that girl got old enough to not want them anymore, I got them all back. I re-read a bunch of them just recently. My favorite was "The Mystery of the Emeralds." Loved her!

Another (non-kids) mystery author I really like is Jonathan Kellerman. His "hero" is a child psychologist named Alex Delaware, who often consults for the police department (in case you were wondering how the hell a shrink solved mysteries.) It's not great literature or anything, but I've always found those books very enjoyable.

FORT Fogey
    I wish I still had my set of books. My mom said she sold them in a garage sale! I did love her! I loved the whole bob-white whistle thing. Everytime I hear one I always think of that. I also loved how she would think it was so really fixing up to put on some pale pink lipstick..lol! Trixie!! I named a dog after her once too and another time begged my mom to buy me this red jacket so I could pretend to be a member of the bob-whites!

+ Reply to Thread