+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: What is your favorite mystery series/hero?

Re: What is your favorite mystery series/hero?

I'd been travelling pack through the pages of the book sub-forum seeking a Detective genre thread, this one appears close enough to suit.

First, I'd add a couple of heros, George C. Chesbro's Mongo series and Andrew Vachess' Burke series. Mongo, someone I haven't encountered in years incorporates the supernatural into the tale, while Burke is an anti-hero fixated on going after pedophiles.

I'm reading Tim Cockney's Backstabber at present, featuring undertaker/detective Hitchcock Sewell, based in Baltimore. Nice read so far. The patter strikes me as being more southern than I'd anticipated, but maybe Maryland is the south more than I'd credited it with being.

As almost always with detective heroes, this guy peppers the tale with musical references, a staple for the genre, both private eye as well as regular cops like Ian Rankin's Inspector Rebus series based in Scotland and John Sandford's Lucas Davenport series set in Minneapolis. Vachess' Burke has a thingy for blues which translated into the real world, me having encountered and bought a CD of songs mentioned in the books. Hitchcock's taste, or at least expressed knowledge of music seems more eclectic than most other heros I encounter, who tend to focus on one type of music, be it blues, jazz, or rock. Detective heroes also feel compelled to share their favorite brands of booze, not infrequently in a refreshingly low brow manner such as sucking down a brew such as Hamms, Busch, Pabst, or Rainier

A few pages back someone was asking about the author of the Savich/Sherlock FBI series - it is Cathering Coulter (I just finished re-reading the series). Also love Eve Dallas (and Roark) by JD Robb. There are a lot of others that I really enjoy and can't think of to list ... I read mostly mysteries these days. Well, mostly "cozies", not the true mysteries, but still... Oh, and I still have all the Trixie Belden books and most of the Happy Hollisters. I think I may have one or two Bobbsey Twins books, too ...
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by SR5Rfan;3212164;
    A few pages back someone was asking about the author of the Savich/Sherlock FBI series - it is Cathering Coulter (I just finished re-reading the series). Also love Eve Dallas (and Roark) by JD Robb. There are a lot of others that I really enjoy and can't think of to list ... I read mostly mysteries these days. Well, mostly "cozies", not the true mysteries, but still... Oh, and I still have all the Trixie Belden books and most of the Happy Hollisters. I think I may have one or two Bobbsey Twins books, too ...
    Love both your choices but also totally adore Lindsey Davis's Marcus Didius Falco, the top PI in 32AD Rome.

Oh, mustn't forget Anne Perry's William Monk.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I like the Chief Inspector Wexford series from Ruth Rendell, and I love the Lord Peter Wimsey series from Dorothy Sayers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011