+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite mystery series/hero?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    I don't know if this has mass appeal, but I'm into a short series of art-history-related murder-mysteries by Iain Pears. They don't require any real art-history knowledge, and generally involve theft or forgery of various paintings, investigated by an Italian police-woman and her English sometime-boyfriend. They're fast-paced, droll and pretty entertaining. Plus they're somewhat educational as to the world of art dealers. Look for the "Jonathan Argyll" ones -- Pears has written other books outside this series (which I have not yet read).
    Ever read The Daughter of Time? Veddy English and arty, too.

How did you like Girl with a Pearl Earring? I read two chapters and wanted to throw a whiskey bottle against the wall, but hey, maybe that was just me. If someone loved it and puts in a good word for it, maybe I'll pick it up again and give it another chance.

Chevalier loves taking a painting and writing an entire novel around it, doesn't she? I would love to see what she could do with Dogs Playing Poker:

"The Rottweiler stared at me across the table, studying me over the full house in his paws, and all I could think was, 'I was born in a laundry room with six brothers and two sisters, swathed in afterbirth and my mother's owners' beach towels, forgotten after their last trip to Cape Cod...'"
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Would I sound a hundred if I say "Hercule Poirot"?

Ever read The Daughter of Time? Veddy English and arty, too.
    OMG. I loved that book. I've probably read it 10 times. I love the rest of Josephine Tey's books too. Especially Brat Farrar. Damn you Phat32. Now I'm going to have to go hunt up my copies.

Hmmmmm....

Harry Bosch
    Kay Scarpetta
    Alex Delaware

are my favs!!

Quote Originally Posted by annimal
    Harry Bosch
    Kay Scarpetta
    Alex Delaware
    are my favs!!
    I'm a big, big Bosch and Delaware fan, too. If you like them, give Repairman Jack (F. Paul Wilson) a try.

Sorry, dude, but I can't stand Scarpetta. But that's probably because an ex-girlfriend of mine ate up all the Scarpetta novels.

Oh, get on the Michael Connelly mailing list, and you'll receive emails about upcoming releases and excerpts. I'm on the list, and as far as I can tell, I don't get any (more) useless spam. You'll get excerpts, too, of the new books, like The Closers, which I am highly, highly anticipating. I was (makes so-so hand gesture) toward The Narrows, though. Maybe it's because I had such high hopes for it.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    I'm a big, big Bosch and Delaware fan, too. If you like them, give Repairman Jack (F. Paul Wilson) a try.

Sorry, dude, but I can't stand Scarpetta. But that's probably because an ex-girlfriend of mine ate up all the Scarpetta novels.

Oh, get on the Michael Connelly mailing list, and you'll receive emails about upcoming releases and excerpts. I'm on the list, and as far as I can tell, I don't get any (more) useless spam. You'll get excerpts, too, of the new books, like The Closers, which I am highly, highly anticipating. I was (makes so-so hand gesture) toward The Narrows, though. Maybe it's because I had such high hopes for it.
    OMG - you just made me so happy to hear about a mailing list. Connely is easily one of my favorite authors...over xmas i rered the black echo, and spent the fall re-reading all his bosch books. I have yet to hear about The Closers so I will have to go and check it out. I really liked the Narrows actually - thought it was super cool how he integrated characters from other books, like Jane Davis, in the storyline. He is so clever in that regards.

Sorry you don't like Scarpetta - I can see why you would have a bad taste in your mouth. I hope that she has another book soon - I also re read all her books this fall as well as I was needing a Milo and Scarpetta fix!!!

I have never heard of Repairman Jack, but am totally in need of a new author to buy up all the books and read (obviously if i am rereading all of these)...so I will go tothe bookstore tonight and check it out...

oh...and i have to add...i almost named by cat Harry after Bosch..but decided I couldn't hold a straight face when the vet comes out and asks if Harry (last name)'s parents are there...so I went with Ben...but I really wanted my own Heironymous!

Mulder from the x-files, that was a mystery series right ?? ..

Quote Originally Posted by dropletsofrain
    Mulder from the x-files, that was a mystery series right ?? ..

but was it a book......

I, too and a big fan of the Prey books...and own all of them. Another favorite are the Elvis Cole/Joe Pike books by Robert Crais. They are terrific, and Elvis is a multi-dimensional character, as is Joe. These are best read in order.
    Being a huge fan of British mysteries, I love the Martha Grimes books, the Richard Jury series, all named after pubs. And someone already mentioned Elizabeth George, another fav of mine.
    I guess I am pretty obsessive about owning all my favorite authors, cause I have all of the above books mentioned! And I have kept a journal of books read since 1998.
    Last edited by seabird107; 01-26-2005 at 11:32 AM.

+ Reply to Thread