+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Da Vinci Code

On Hiatus

The Da Vinci Code

Pardon me for starting up a new thread on this...I didn't see one already but if it's around, merge me, baby.

I just started this book last night (took FOREVER to get from the library, I've had my name on the list for months...) and I read about half of it. It's so jam packed full of things that make you think....

For those who've read it...what's your opinion? And I've been reading that people have been looking up the background information on it...share!
    "Ashleigh": I just think it's sleazy. It's dirty.
    Matt: Welcome to television!
    -The Joe Schmo Show

I haven't read it, but I know 3 or 4 people who've read it and loved it. It's been highly recommended by everyone I know who's read it.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Sounds interesting. Who's the author?
    Who shot who in the what now?

I just ordered it from Amazon yesterday, and got word it shipped today.

It's by Dan Brown, who also wrote "Deception Point", "Angels & Demons", "Digital Fortress", and "Matter".

A review follow, highlight the area between the brackets to read it:

Click to see Spoiler:
    With The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown masterfully concocts an intelligent and lucid thriller that marries the gusto of an international murder mystery with a collection of fascinating esoteria culled from 2,000 years of Western history.
    A murder in the silent after-hour halls of the Louvre museum reveals a sinister plot to uncover a secret that has been protected by a clandestine society since the days of Christ. The victim is a high-ranking agent of this ancient society who, in the moments before his death, manages to leave gruesome clues at the scene that only his granddaughter, noted cryptographer Sophie Neveu, and Robert Langdon, a famed symbologist, can untangle. The duo become both suspects and detectives searching for not only Neveu's father's murderer but also the stunning secret of the ages he was charged to protect. Mere steps ahead of the authorities and the deadly competition, the mystery leads Neveu and Langdon on a breathless flight through France, England, and history itself.

Brown (Angels and Demons) has created a page-turning thriller that also provides an amazing interpretation of Western history. Brown's hero and heroine embark on a lofty and intriguing exploration of some of Western culture's greatest mysteries--from the nature of the Mona Lisa's smile to the secret of the Holy Grail. Though some will quibble with the veracity of Brown's conjectures, therein lies the fun. The Da Vinci Code is an enthralling read that provides rich food for thought.

I've heard, BTW, that the book might not be for you if you're not into thinking hard about your religion. Most of the folks I know are open to discussing religious issues, though.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Ooo that's definitely for me then. I love questioning religion even though I'm pretty strong in my beliefs.

I'm adding it to my list of books to buy.
    Who shot who in the what now?

On Hiatus
    Dan Brown is the author, if I'm remembering correctly. And they are right-it's not for you if you aren't at least a little open-minded about religion and history.

For example, my aunt's husband read it. He was infuriated-he's Southern Baptist. Actually, that's what made me want to read it.

There are like a zillion things I wanted to sit online and look up, and I'm only halfway through. But I can't remember them all.

Also, this book is reminding me a lot of some texts I read in college, including The Chalice and The Blade.
    -The Joe Schmo Show

I have finished reading this book just last week, and you are right, it sends you to the computer to look things up. I was just amazed by the real historical facts you read about, and to see there is a real Priory of Sion is fascinating. It makes you think about the symbolism that is all around us and we dont consciously see it! Everything from seargeants stripes, to Disney movies--quite a book.

On Hiatus
    For those of you reading the book, here's a link to "The Last Supper"..it's not a great look at it, and I'm having trouble seeing the things pointed out in the book. Anyone have a better link?

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/vinci/lastsupp.jpg

Cablejockey, if you can remember where you looked up some of your information, I'd love to see what you've found online.

What amazes me most about this book is how incredibly thoroughly it was researched. And it's the only book I've ever read that absolutely won't put me to sleep (I read before going to bed, but I have to avoid this book for that purpose...) because there's just SO much information it makes my head spin and keeps me awake.
    Last edited by YCan'tAngieRead; 10-02-2003 at 12:36 AM.
    -The Joe Schmo Show

On Hiatus
    By the way, anyone read anything else by Dan Brown?
    -The Joe Schmo Show

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast