+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: The Da Vinci Code

Davinci Code ROCKS!

Davinci Code was recommended to me by my cousin. I was raised Catholic, but never felt that it, (along with all religions) was nothing more than an accepted cult. Some of the revelations in the Davinci Code were thoughts that I had already had. I do not believe JC was the "son" of God. I believe that we are ALL children of God. The more I read, the more I felt at ease with my own beliefs.

Davinci Code is NOT for the staunch Christians. I know many that loathed the book. Everyone else I know that has read it LOVES the book.

Keep an open mind, get past the story (it's not that great) but the info given certainly is "food for thought".

Will try to read A & D next.

Dex
    I too like Angels and Demons better, which I read first before Da Vinci Code. The 2 had similar premises- being called up in the middle of the night, beautiful female partners-in-crime, and
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the villians turn out to be the characters whom you really like until the reveal (I can just imagine John Cleese as Sir Leigh Teabing)
    . Not to mention that the whole adventure takes place within like, what, 2-3 days? Robert Langdon must be one heck of a scholar
    But, Angels and Demons is way cooler because of the ambigrams I also found it more exciting and engaging than DVC.
    Bollocks to your pompous hiney! -makerc

I've been thinking of getting Angels and Demons especially after reading the Da Vinci Code. Since you said it was better, Dex, I'm actually going to read it.

Jay
    I just finished "Digital Fortress" and was disappointed with the novel. It wasn't as good as I had expected. I'll try DVC next. If I don't like that one, I'll give up on Dan Brown.

Digital was his first book I believe. Deception Point is a bit better. Angels and Demons are better than that. I personally think that Da Vinci is his best. But I'll also admit that the appeal for me in Dan Brown isn't his writing (as I think he has rather flat characters that could use more development) but in the ideas he presents and the way in which they are presented. A few things that make me go hmmmmmm. And I like the puzzle aspect of his work. That is one of the things I like about TV shows like Alias and 24. The make me think - and Brown's work does as well.

I just read Deception Point yesterday (yes, I read the entire book in one day), and enjoyed it. I think Dan Brown is in his own little world of conspiracies, but I enjoy reading about them! I've read DVC and A&D also, maybe next I'll try Digital Fortress.
    ugh. I don't get time to watch TV anymore, much less hang out at the FORT.

But don't you worry, I'll be back in full force on or about November 3rd.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Ok I just bought DC . Worth reading ?? I've had it for about a week , but haven't had time to sit down and read it . Worth making time or should I chuck it for the summer?

I think you should read it, eny. It looks big, but it's a very quick read. I enjoyed all the thought provoking points Dan Brown made in it. Of course, I would never take a fiction author's writing as sole basis for everything I believe in, but I thought it was quite interesting and definitely a page turner. Good summer reading.
    Who shot who in the what now?

Okay, so I read Deception Point. Spoiler:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I'm done with Dan Brown. I've read four of his books now, and the man is clearly incapable of deviating from the same theme. The bad guy is, without fail, some high-ranking "helpful friend" of the main character. It's a shame, because he's very good at writing interesting topics in such a way that you don't want to put the book down, but he needs to learn how to introduce a new type of twist. I quite literally called who the bad guy in Deception Point was upon his first introduction to the book. I kept hoping I'd be wrong, but no. Nope. Of course I wasn't. Because HE'S THE MOST PREDICTABLE AUTHOR SINCE MOTHER FREAKING GOOSE. Okay, sorry. Carry on.

+ Reply to Thread