+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Da Vinci Code

I just finished "Angels and Demons", from Dan Brown (a precursor to The Da Vinci Code).

I have to say that I liked it quite a bit better than DVC. I think in this book, he actually had an entire plot, and not just an idea he was trying to push through an odd storyline. And the history lesson was equally impressive.

If you had any interest in DVC, pick that one up as well.

On Hiatus
    In case anyone is wondering, Digital Fortress was also good, although Angels and Demons is still my favorite. It was a pretty good read although
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I'm getting really tired of the twist where the person in charge is actually behind the whole madcap adventure.

DO NOT read that spoiler if you don't want to ruin the endings of any of these books.
    "Ashleigh": I just think it's sleazy. It's dirty.
    Matt: Welcome to television!
    -The Joe Schmo Show

Just in case anyone is interested--ABC is doing a show about the Da Vinci Code. I can imagine how tv will twist all this to their point of view. Its on tonite.

I posted the press release earlier in this thread, but they will be discussingthe book in detail, apparently.

On Hiatus
    Yes, they were just promo-ing it on The View. I don't normally watch The View, but it was on in the background while I was doing something else.

It was REALLY ticking me off. I guess The View women aren't allowed to be open minded about anything. I'm usually okay when someone says something I don't agree with but these women were really annoying me.

I guess I wouldn't be so ticked off if they weren't name-calling people who put forth theories. I mean, no one will ever know the real truth about Jesus. So why call someone who puts forth a theory contrary to yours an idiot?

After seeing that, I'm not sure I'll watch, even though I think the clerics the interviewed will probably be less...erm...abrasive.
    "Ashleigh": I just think it's sleazy. It's dirty.
    Matt: Welcome to television!
    -The Joe Schmo Show

FORT Fan
    Okay, everyone who loves puzzles, grab your copy of the book. I watched Dan Brown on Good Morning America this morning. He said that there are at least four hidden codes in the jacket cover of the book. You may need good lighting and a magnifying glass to help you.

He gave a hint to the first one Inside the front jacket you see "While in Paris on business, you will notice something about the letter "i" in business.

The first person to figure out all four codes wins a trip to Paris. Jus thought I would pass it along.

FORT Fan
    I agree with you about the ladies on "The View" this morning. It boggles my mind on how women who claim to be so open minded in other areas are so closed minded when it comes to this topic.

I watched Dan Brown's interview this morning on Good Morning America this morning. I found his responses to be very forthcoming. He did a LOT of research in writing this book and he said something that really hit home with me.

He said, "I found answers to questions that made much more sense to me than anything I had been told in my youth."

It also has been brought up that even the Catholic church made a decision in 1969 that indeed Mary Magdalene was NOT a prostitute. Pope Gregory made that accusation and it stuck all these years.

They ladies of the View didn't even seem to be accepting of that. They are so ingrained as to what they have been told all these years. They are not at all open to even thinking outside their little box.

So did any of you watch the show tonight? I did. I came away from it with the same feeling the book gave me - too big of a topic for such a limited amount of time (or, in the case of the book, space.)

I bet Brown's sales go even higher after this, though.

I taped it, and will watch it tomorrow afternoon.

FORT Fogey
    I watched it , and I read the book yesterday and finished it today. I didn't think the interview really offered that much. I was glad to see a variety of "scholars" on the subject. Dallas Seminary, Catholic scholars and such.

+ Reply to Thread