+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Da Vinci Code

On Hiatus
    Actually, the "love interest" aspect was my least favorite part of the book. I'm reading his first book in this series right now, and it's also fairly annoying with the love interest.

For the record, though, it's just as well-researched a thriller as The Da Vinci Code, sending me to the computer multiple times to look up junk.

And the ending was kind of flat in TDVC. I got the feeling he had this really great idea for a book in that vein, and then didn't know how to end it. Sort of like an SNL sketch.
    "Ashleigh": I just think it's sleazy. It's dirty.
    Matt: Welcome to television!
    -The Joe Schmo Show

Okay, so I bought this book last night, and I just finished it. Obviously I thought it was good enough that I read it in pretty much one sitting, but I had one gripe (love interest aside.) Did any of the rest of you feel like it was written in such a way that...I don't know. It was too easy a read? It dealt with some incredibly interesting material, but it felt like the Cliff's Notes of the Cliff's Notes of the Cliff's Notes of what he COULD have said. I'm not saying I expected it to be a textbook or anything, but I would have liked it to be a little less lowest common denominator. God, that makes me sound like SUCH a snob. I don't mean it like that at all. I guess I should just look at it as a jumping-off point for other materials I might enjoy reading.

Ahhhhh, finally finished the book and allowed myself to venture into this thread.

My friend loaned me the book and told me he was very disappointed with the ending, so I felt prepared for a letdown - I didn't love the way it wrapped itself up, but felt the ride was well worth it. And I can see where it would be hard to end such a great story. The book was definitely a success in raising people's curiosity since everyone I know who has read it wants to run off and start researching, myself included. Thanks to all who are posting links

YAngie - what is the name of the first book in the series you are reading? I was told that Angels and Demons is very good...
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

I just bought this book and started reading it. So far(5 chapters in), I am intrigued and dont want to stop reading.....Damn job!!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Okay, quick little aside. I gave the book to my boyfriend to read when I was finished with it. Turns out that one of the cryptographers mentioned is/was a friend/acquaintance of his. Nobody but me is going to find that cool, but I thought I'd share anyway.

On Hiatus
    YAngie - what is the name of the first book in the series you are reading? I was told that Angels and Demons is very good...
    Yeah, that's the first book in the series. It's better than The Da Vinci Code, but the love interest line is more annoying.

The ending goes back in forth in my head as being completely lame and a brilliant attempt to point us all in the direction of "what would we do for our faith."

I definitely recommend picking it up and reading it. Still very well researched and a good history lesson, if nothing else.
    I gave the book to my boyfriend to read when I was finished with it. Turns out that one of the cryptographers mentioned is/was a friend/acquaintance of his.
    Pardon my inner nerd, but I'd think it was cool if anyone I knew knew a cryptographer, no matter who that person was.
    -The Joe Schmo Show

Well, I just bought Angels & Demons. I'll read it on vacation (starting tomorrow).

On Hiatus
    By the way (and I know I'm deviating from the topic a bit), I'm reading Digital Fortress by Dan Brown right now. It's also good as a thriller but not quite as heady. Still about cryptography, though, which is heady enough in and of itself.
    -The Joe Schmo Show

I'm starting "In the Name of the Rose" by Umberto Eco - it's supposed to be a more historical account of this mystery. I'll let you know.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Wilde, Isn't the title "The Name of the Rose"??? Yeah, I'm a little anal....but I read that book back in high school. It was really good, if I remember correctly.

I am really enjoying "The DaVinci Code". I totally want to visit France and The Louvre now.

I am not a huge reader, normally, but this book has got me hooked. My girlfriend, who is a huge reader, is impressed. Wait until I tell her that it was my friends from the FORT--a TV based web forum(she hates that I watch reality tv) that recommended the book!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

+ Reply to Thread