+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Da Vinci Code

On Hiatus
    Heh. What a strange, but yet very cool, combination.
    "Ashleigh": I just think it's sleazy. It's dirty.
    Matt: Welcome to television!
    -The Joe Schmo Show

I just ran across this press release:

"JESUS, MARY AND DA VINCI," EXPLORING CONTROVERSIAL THEORIES ABOUT JESUS, MARY MAGDALENE AND THE HOLY GRAIL RAISED IN THE BESTSELLING NOVEL, "THE DaVINCI CODE," AIRS AS AN ABC NEWS SPECIAL, MONDAY, NOVEMBER 3

The bestselling novel "The Da Vinci Code" has stirred a vigorous debate by raising a number of provocative questions -- most notably, was the historical Jesus really an unmarried man? Could he have even been a father? Do his direct descendants still survive today? In an hour-long ABC News special, "Jesus, Mary and da Vinci," Elizabeth Vargas explores these and other controversial theories about the lives of Jesus and Mary Magdalene -- who some scholars believe was not a prostitute, as often portrayed, but rather Jesus' wife, and perhaps even the mother of his child. Vargas travels to the Holy Land, Italy, France and other locations around the world to investigate what evidence exists to support some of these extraordinary claims. "Jesus, Mary and da Vinci" airs MONDAY, NOVEMBER 3 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network.

Among those Vargas interviews are religious and art history scholars who weigh in on the feasibility of some of the theories put forth in "The Da Vinci Code." The book states that Mary Magdalene fled Jerusalem for Europe following Jesus' crucifixion, carrying their child. In France, the descendants of Jesus married into French royalty. Evidence of this story, it is said, was guarded and carried forth throughout the centuries by a secret group of some of the most famous minds in history, including Leonardo da Vinci and Sir Isaac Newton.

Elizabeth Vargas anchors "Jesus, Mary and da Vinci." Rudy Bednar is the executive producer. Jeanmarie Condon is the senior producer. Yael Lavie is the producer.

John, have you read your copy yet?

Based on the buzz in this forum, I downloaded it to my Palm and read it in flight this week. I still had a bit to go when I got home, and stayed up late one night to finish.

I thought it a great read, and well written. I appreciated Paulie's admonition about being willing to think hard about your religion. It raised a number of questions in my mind, mostly makes me want to track down some of Brown's suppositions for myself.

Still, I enjoyed reading this.

I'm 2/3 of the way through it. I should finish it probably Wednesday night.

I was just given this book as a present...I very rarely buy and/or read contemporary fiction...but I really really enjoyed it!

***Spoiler Below*****

For those who have read the book or know its premise, I have a question. Do you really think that if the "Grail" is found that the secrets which it contains would be so explosive? To me, the power of the Grail seems to be only relevant in a society that appreciated the sacred feminine. In our society, which is clearly devoid of such reverence, I don't think that the revelation of these secrets would make much difference.

I believe that the documents would be studied with great historical interest and we'd learn some very cool things, those who already doubt the Bible's literalness would just have more to support them and those who view the Bible as the literal word of God would discount the documents. I guess I don't really see the Grail as a secret which needs to be kept. At least not for me, but then I'm not religious. :smile
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

On Hiatus
    I'm still interested in tracking down some of Brown's theories, if someone else finds them on the internet-post 'em, wouldja? I've spent the last couple of weeks trying to find a good copy of The Last Supper so I can see...well, without spoiling anything...the goings on to Jesus' right.
    -The Joe Schmo Show

On Hiatus
    Quick threadjacking-Bumpkin-is it hard to DL books to your Palm? Expensive? Do you have to have a specific version of the Palm?
    -The Joe Schmo Show

Quote Originally Posted by YCan'tAngieRead
    Quick threadjacking-Bumpkin-is it hard to DL books to your Palm? Expensive? Do you have to have a specific version of the Palm?
    Not at all. I'm an addict. There is a great variety of best-sellers on peanutpress.com. You download them to your computer and then hotsync them to your palm. The prices are only slightly below list for current best-sellers, but you can pick up some good titles for less. I have a Palm 125. I think it would only be a problem if you are using a 100 and didn't have the memory for storage.

Back to the thread, Wilde - I thought the discussion of the sacred feminine was interesting in terms of "explaining" the secrecy of the Knights of Templar and the modern day Masons.

I believe that the documents would be studied with great historical interest and we'd learn some very cool things, those who already doubt the Bible's literalness would just have more to support them and those who view the Bible as the literal word of God would discount the documents. I guess I don't really see the Grail as a secret which needs to be kept. At least not for me, but then I'm not religious. :smile
    I've got the apocrapha (spelling, terrible) and some other reference books at home (that Brown has referenced) that I want to look at again. I think Brown's book was particularly harsh on the Catholic church.

Angie - I googled and found some more information about the book ... There is a great study guide which documents some of Brown's references. And, of course, the Opus Dei website has some information refuting his claims. I bookmarked them at home, so I'll post those later.

Well, I finished the book. While I liked the "history lesson" aspect, the rest of the book fell very flat at the end.

Totally agree John, the ending was terrible! We're not even sure if the love interest bit worked out?!?
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

+ Reply to Thread