+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: The Da Vinci Code

I like to picture Langdon looking like Clive Owen LOL
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I've read both books, and think that Angels and Demons is better. I don't think he's the best writer per se, and the subject matter is nothing new, but I like that it's an easy and fast read with lots of adventure, kinda like Indiana Jones or something. I read lots of non fiction and things that are depressing at times, so these were a bit of an escape.
    Adversity reveals genius. -Horace

I'll definitely see the movie. Brown's writing is rather weak, but the story itself is excellent. I'm disappointed with the Tom Hanks casting (I was picturing Russell Crowe in the lead) but I'm still looking forward to seeing it...and hoping it lives up to at least half the hype.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I'm glad this thread was bumped. I thought I was the only one that thought his writing was weak. I also thought the characters were undeveloped (did anyone really care what happened to any of them?), the codes and puzzles were sometimes laughably simplistic, and the plot often seemed to wander off. Also, I was SO disappointed in the big secret that the brotherhood was trying to hide. I mean, its not like those theories had never been proposed before. They've been around for CENTURIES. Eh, I'd not fight it out with anyone, but I was disappointed in the entire book. However, I'm also better versed in religious history than a lot of people. So maybe that ruined it for me.

Anyway, even after my rather scathing review, I still think it will be a good movie. It has enough action in it to keep moviegoers on the edge of their seats if its done right.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I'll definitely see the movie. Brown's writing is rather weak, but the story itself is excellent. I'm disappointed with the Tom Hanks casting (I was picturing Russell Crowe in the lead) but I'm still looking forward to seeing it...and hoping it lives up to at least half the hype.
    I was a little iffy on Tom Hanks, too.. but I do think he'll do a decent job with Langdon. Russell Crowe was more along my vision, too, although I do like Duxxy's idea of Clive Owen.

The role I have a difficult time envisioning is Paul Bettany as Silas. I always pictured Silas as a slightly larger (as compared to PB) guy... kind of like an albino The Rock. Just a guy with superhuman strength. PB doesn't ooze "strength" to me. Love the guy, love his acting, but just not a he-man. Sorry, dood.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Brown's writing left a lot to be desired. I was beginning to think there's something wrong with me for not being wowed by the book. I am looking forward to seeing the movie, though. Tom Hanks surprised me as the lead, but I like him, so it's all good.

I didn't even know who Paul Bettany was, and in looking on IMDB, I haven't seen a single one of his films. But he looks pretty good to me, Broadway...has kind of a psycho look to his face.

Speaking of the casting, I love Audrey Tautou as Sophie...but Ian McKellen as Sir Leigh? Isn't he too old?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I think Paul Bettany is one of the most underrated actors of our time. I used to say the same thing about Phillip Seymour Hoffman and look where he is now. They both have the same understated ability to just BE the character. I would think PB could do a spectacular job.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I read the Da Vinci code about a year ago. One of the things I remember thinking when I read it was that Dan Brown was so aiming for the movie deal with this book. You could almost see the "fade to black" after each scene . All in all, I thought it was the equivalent of a classical popcorn movie, entertaining and fluffy, and a bit ridiculous. After reading Angels and Demons, I also came to the conclusion that Dan Brown has a thing for evil catholics (I'm a Catholic myself ).

But in a way, I will always have a soft spot for The Da Vinci Code since this book was the first time my husband, who's not much of a reader, ever expressed an interest in reading something I was reading (probably cause he heard me laugh so much ) and actually read it too. After that we have gone on to read other books together, in the beginning other Dan Brown books, but since then we've gone to other writers, like Henning Mankell and Val McDermid, so I've had the pleasure of being able to share one of my favourite hobbies also with my hubby .

I started the book and thought the prologue was amazing but I've stopped reading it when I realized that it took me over an hour to read the next 30 pages. Too slow moving and extremely boring beginning. I am more apt to see the movie than finish the book at this point.

+ Reply to Thread