+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: The Da Vinci Code

I can't believe that. Dan Brown's writing sucks, the concept is poorly developed, it's based on theories which are highly suspect, and there are tons of better authors around. I'm convinced that the average book-purchasing human is the kind of person who gets their news from People Magazine.

The President of my company read it and raved about it. He said that it was a book that every Catholic should read (obviously he is not one himself). As well as myself I know of 5 other people at work that tried to read it and couldn't get through it. Apparently bad writing sells, if it is controversial enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Now 104 weeks or more as the #1 non-fiction book in the US.

Good for Dan Brown, but come on, surely there is another book that is as good in the past two years. Where is John Irving when I need him?
    Please tell me you meant fiction, not non-fiction!

Oh God yes, my bad
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Fort Member
    I had friends rave about this book and the lady at my book store recommend I read it.
    I am so glad to see that I am not the only one who found it a chore to read. It was not that good I did not enjoy reading it at all.
    The premise sounded interesting enough but just didn't deliver and I really didn't care for any of the characters. Thats bad writing.
    The only thing I got out of it as I didn't buy the illustrated version (glad I didn't as I already felt I had wasted $25) was a need to see the last supper again as I had never really noticed the woman in it before
    I was surprised when the controversy started as I never once considered any part of the story as fact other than the art and the places.

The Priory of Sion was a hoax. Itís as simple as that.
    mmhmmm and your proof is this is.....

i'm about 3/4 done with the book, i got mine from the library and its an illustrated version, i've found it to be most helpful, i know all about the story, but i figured, i better read this book so at least i can say i know what i'm talking about lol

i think the story is great, despite the fast paced plot....at least it keeps you interested, maybe a little too interested lol

cant wait to see the movie, but i expect it to be a watered down version, i mean, imagine the outcry lol

Posted by snickers
    mmhmmm and your proof is this is..

It's interesting that you require proof that something doesn't exist, when usually someone would want proof that a secret conspiratorial organization does exist. I suggest that you go to www.priory-of-sion.com for the whole story of the fraud.

yeah, because ALL web sites are legit--that website looks about as unlegit as they can get

did you ever occur to you its not called that? there are other books out there that talk about the secret organization, quite a few books actually

gotta look outside the box
    Last edited by snickers; 07-23-2005 at 07:05 PM.

[quote = Saltyj]finally decided to read this book. I wasn't going to touch it at first, because I hadn't heard enough about it to know it was a mystery. I thought it was a textbook, and I'd had enough of that at school.[/quote]

I just picked up this paperback yesterday. I'm looking forward to getting into it.

How many of you will see the movie?? I believe it opens the second week of May
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I'm looking forward to the movie not because I think the book was good but because the plot sounds good for a movie. I don't think Tom Hanks should have been picked for the lead role. He's a good actor but I don't picture Robert looking like him.

The book was okay. It started off great and it got exciting near the middle but the last 6 chapters put me to sleep. The ending was a huge letdown.

John, I don't think Dan Brown is a great writer either. I read Angels and Demons and thought that book was just okay. I don't understand why he's getting so much praise.

+ Reply to Thread