+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: The Da Vinci Code

Yep, here is the thread. Surprise, Surprise!!

Hepcat, what are the other books you mentioned about?
    I used to have a handle on life... but then it broke off.

Hmm... I don't have a big list of books that address the sacred feminine, but I guess I was thinking of "adventures in history", if you can call that a genre. Foucault's Pendulum is pretty interesting, and The Name of the Rose is more readable and a great story/mystery. Both are by Umberto Eco.

Sharon Kan Penman's series is pretty good - medieval mysteries. I also liked Sharan Newman's Death Comes as an Epiphany. I remember those two because of their similar names. (I hope I didn't switch their first names.)
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Well I just finished reading The Da Vinci Code.

I was lucky enough to obtain the hardback edition that was specially illustrated with pictures of all the art work and bulidings that were describe.

It was a great read but I agree that the ending was dissapointing.

Just finished Angels & Demons and I liked it better than The Da Vinci Code. I recommend it to anyone who liked The Da Vinci Code.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

It's a bird, it's a plane EXlurker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaius
    Just finished Angels & Demons and I liked it better than The Da Vinci Code. I recommend it to anyone who liked The Da Vinci Code.

I just finished the book as well. I agree, I liked it better than 'The Da Vinci Code.' I wonder if they'll make it into a movie as well.

Quote Originally Posted by EXlurker

I just finished the book as well. I agree, I liked it better than 'The Da Vinci Code.' I wonder if they'll make it into a movie as well.
    Next year with Ron Howard directing and Tom Hanks starring

Both one after the other.
    In these times of Greatness, what is better than being a Bostonian? Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics (NO. 5anyone?) and I'll even give props to the Black N Gold!!!

i have read the da vinci code by dan brown and this is really fantastically made and brown unleashed a perfect taste that readers will really love. Look out for the ancient brothehood...the priory of sion. this is the main part of the story. a fiction and non-fiction kind of book. dan brown have evidences on some of the things he used in the novel. i love this book.really!!!

there are also rumors that da vinci code will make it to the movie. i guess it is true.

donít understand why there is such a fuss about the Da Vinci Code. For one thing it is just a novel, and in my opinion, not a very well written one. It also tosses in every conspiracy that can be contained in a few hundred pages in such a way that I expected the Mel Gibson character from Conspiracy Theory to show up. Iím surprised that there is no mention of any extra-terrestrials; itís the only thing missing. Frankly, I find that whole thing rather laughable. Itís written in such an episodic way that itís the written equivalent of one of those serials that they used to make featuring Flash Gordon or Superman. There is absolutely no character development. For me itís a real page turner Ė I was skimming the pages quickly so I could get to the end as soon as I could.

Any belief that any of this could be possible is gone by the first page. Under Fact: Dan Brown claims that the Priory of Sion is a real organization. In less than 5 minutes searching on the internet you can find any number of articles demonstrating that this claim is false. The Priory of Sion was a hoax. Itís as simple as that.

I have no doubt that Dan Brown has done a lot of research. But taking other peopleís preposterous unproven claims and combining them into a fairy tale may get an A in imaginative fiction, but it would get an F in history.

I tried approaching the Da Vince code as a novel and accepting it on those terms. For the first few pages I thought the book wasnít bad. By a hundred pages I was finding myself wondering how much longer it would take me to finish. By a hundred and fifty pages I started to think that I would never be able to finish. The 2 main characters (Langdon and Neveu) never seemed like real people. Silas and Fache seem to have escaped from a Victor Hugo novel. And Dan Brown apparently loves italics.

For me reading this book was neither thought provoking, nor an enjoyable experience.

Now 104 weeks or more as the #1 non-fiction book in the US.

Good for Dan Brown, but come on, surely there is another book that is as good in the past two years. Where is John Irving when I need him?
    Last edited by Bill; 04-12-2005 at 02:11 PM.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

+ Reply to Thread