+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: The Da Vinci Code

What!? Dan Brown was a plagiarist? I can't believe it!

O, draconian devil!
    So the dark the con of man!

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    I read Angels and Demons and Deception Point and about to read Digital Fortress.

I read the Da Vinci code a bit after it came out

I have read both Angels and Demons & The DaVinci Code. I have to say that I preferred Angels and Demons much more. I think it was a better book, more interesting story and much better plot and twists of events.
    I am really looking forward to reading Dan Brown's Deception Point and Digital Fortress.
    Remember that you only live once, and if you do it just right, once is just enough.

BE the change you wish to see in the world. - M. Gandhi

I have read this book. It was sort of interesting. However as I had read "The Hiram Key" by Christopher Knight and Robert Lomas already the whole Rosslyn chapel thing was no big surprise. And I felt I learned more from The Hiram Key. Although like everything I read I took it with a grain of salt. I actually read The Da Vinci Code on my way home from Scotland during which time I went to Rosslyn Chapel. It is definitely worth visiting.

The Da Vinci Code was sure a quick and easy read in my opinion. Will probably read another Dan Brown soon.
    Last edited by charfred; 09-30-2004 at 01:20 AM.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Thats so cool you were actually at Rosslyn. I read Hiram Key too as my dad was a mason . Very interesting stuff.

The Hiram Key was fascinating. I am going to try and read their second book The Second Messiah soon. Here is a picture of me with my daughter at Rosslyn. If you ever get the chance it is definitely worth visiting.
    At this turning point in our relationship with Earth, we work for an evolution: from dominance to partnership; from fragmentation to connection; from insecurity, to interdependence. The David Suzuki Foundation

Quote Originally Posted by charfred
    I have read this book. It was sort of interesting. However as I had read "The Hiram Key" by Christopher Knight and Robert Lomas already the whole Rosslyn chapel thing was no big surprise. And I felt I learned more from The Hiram Key. Although like everything I read I took it with a grain of salt. I actually read The Da Vinci Code on my way home from Scotland during which time I went to Rosslyn Chapel. It is definitely worth visiting.

The Da Vinci Code was sure a quick and easy read in my opinion. Will probably read another Dan Brown soon.
    charfred ... I don't think you used enough salt.

Lomas and Knight have a nice little story there, but they make some pretty outrageous assumptions based on what they want to believe, rather than backing it up with extensive research. But I liked " The Hiram Key", as well as their " The Second Messiah " .

Another book in this same vein of exploring options to the Christ Story is "The Jesus Mysteries" by Timothy Freke and Peter Gandy.

And I envy you on your trip to Rosslyn. It shows up in most of the books about the Knights Templar.

dawg if I use more than a grain for their books where will I get the salt for things like the newspaper, history books, etc. I am very much a believer in that there is no such thing as an ultimate truth, but rather the truth is what comes after events occur and a human being interprets it taking in to account their own past, biases, etc.

I just finished the Second Messiah and although I would never state it is the true history, I think it is possible that it could be a version of history. How do we know? Just like how do we know that man has really been on the moon? We have to allow ourselves to make a decision based on the evidence that exists.

Anyway, enough of this threadjacking. I promise to start a new thread if I have anything else to say.
    At this turning point in our relationship with Earth, we work for an evolution: from dominance to partnership; from fragmentation to connection; from insecurity, to interdependence. The David Suzuki Foundation

The Da Vinci Code

I am fairly certain that a book this controversial previously had a thread here at one time, and being that I am a slow follower & I am just getting on the bandwagon, I thought I would start one now.

Those of you who have read the Da Vinci Code, did you read the bible first? Are you a Christian/Catholic, and did you attend church? If so, did you believe what was written? Are you seriously considering the theory?

Those of you who have read the book, and never went to church or read the bible, are you convinced that they theory is true?

I am only half way through the book at this point, and I don't want to give anything away to the people who have not read it. I am noticing a vast difference in the opinions of the people who have not read the book, but were raised attending church, and read the bible, vs people like myself who might be Christians who do not practice, but have read the book.

I think that people like myself are more willing to believe in the theory.
    What is your opinion?
    I used to have a handle on life... but then it broke off.

My mother's Bible study group read the book and put a lot of time and consideration into the theory, but eventually concluded that the research is specious.

Personally, I found it interesting as an adventure story, but (as others have said) this book was not the first place I'd run across this theory. And I tend to enjoy a deeper read if I'm in the mood to tackle large hidden undercurrents in history. Foucault's Pendulum is probably my favorite book in this genre, although I hadn't seen Snowie's posts until you bumped the subject today, Darling. I'm definitely going to look for Daughter of God by Lewis Perdue.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread