+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: The Da Vinci Code

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/book....ap/index.html

'Da Vinci' author: I left out even more
    Decided against including theory Jesus survived crucifixion
    Wednesday, May 19, 2004 Posted: 4:11 PM EDT (2011 GMT)

CONCORD, New Hampshire (AP) -- Though "The Da Vinci Code" was contentious enough to produce 10 books attempting to discredit it, its author said he left out what likely would have been the most controversial part.

Dan Brown said that when he wrote the best seller that dissects the origins of Jesus Christ and disputes long-held beliefs about Catholicism, he considered including material alleging that Jesus Christ survived the crucifixion.

While speaking at a benefit Tuesday for a New Hampshire writers' group, Brown said the theory is backed by a number of "very credible sources," but that he ultimately decided it was too flimsy.

"For me, that was just three or four steps too far," he told the crowd of more than 800 people.

Brown's discussion of his book, during which he answered audience questions, was a rare public appearance for him. He has declined most requests for media interviews this year, saying he is focusing on writing the sequel to his book.

He said the new book, set in Washington, D.C., would focus on the Free and Accepted Masons, a secretive fraternal organization. He said the architecture in Washington is soaked in symbolism and plays a major role in the novel. He also said the dust jacket of "The Da Vinci Code" contains a code that reveals information about the sequel.

But Brown spent much of the evening discussing the controversy that has surrounded "The Da Vinci Code."

Since the book was published in March 2003, liberal and conservative writers have cited numerous errors. A key assertion in "The Da Vinci Code" -- that Jesus married Mary Magdalene and that sinister Christians suppressed information about it -- comes from a 1982 book titled "Holy Blood, Holy Grail," which a New York Times reviewer called "rank nonsense."

Brown said he is grateful his book is generating so much debate. He said apathy is a constant threat to the study of the uncomfortable relationship between science and religion.

The book casts unflattering light on the Catholic Church, accusing church leaders of demonizing women for centuries and of covering up the truth about the Holy Grail, which Brown says is Mary Magdalene herself.

Many critics have taken issue with Brown's claim that Jesus and Mary Magdalene had a child who was whisked away to France after Jesus' crucifixion.

But Brown, who was raised Christian, said that theory does not detract from Christianity's message.

"In my mind, the possibility that Jesus might have married Mary Magdalene in no way undermines the beauty of Christ's message," he said.

"The Da Vinci Code" has sold 7.5 million copies worldwide and is expected to be made into a movie.
    ugh. I don't get time to watch TV anymore, much less hang out at the FORT.

But don't you worry, I'll be back in full force on or about November 3rd.

Dex
    About this upcoming movie, has anyone heard anything about it? I think it would be interesting to watch, but might be disappointing just like Michael Crichton's Timeline.
    Bollocks to your pompous hiney! -makerc

Did Dan Brown steal the Da Vinci Code?!!

Ok, just this weekend, my brother gave me a book to read, Daughter of God by Lewis Perdue, knowing that I enjoyed many of the ideas laid forth in TDVC. He commented that it was "a bit of a knock-off" of Dan Brown's book, but had superior character development, and preferred the fact that the novel's male & female heroes actual discover pertinent clues throughout the novel as opposed to Langdon's rather canned habit of already knowing everything.

I just started perusing it last night, but was immediately struck by similarities between this book, both technical and conceptual. Just a couple of examples to start: similarity in characters' occupations (Seth is a professor of philosophy & theology, Zoe is an art historian--which I learned is the name of the daughter of Sophia in the Gnostic gospels; compare to Sophie in TDVC), and the plot revolves around a long-kept secret of the feminine divine that has the potential to blow apart Western culture.

I checked the copyright and discovered Daughter of God could not have been a "knock-off" as my brother suggested because it was, in fact, published a good three years before TDVC. I researched a little more on Lewis Perdue and then found out that he had written another book, back in 1983, called The Da Vinci Legacy which, 20 years before TDVC told an incredibly similar story.

Lewis Perdue is seeking legal action against Dan Brown, and so if you look at his website you'll find detailed, side-by-side comparisons of the texts. He claims Dan Brown not only stole major plot points and smaller details, but also (even more telling) his mistakes--such as the gaffe that Da Vinci codices were written on parchment, which only appears in Perdue's and, later, Brown's texts, and nowhere else.

Read more about it by clicking the links below, including a fascinating analysis by forensic linguistic expert John Olsson, who is quoted in the New York Post as having said, "This is the most blatant example of in-your-face plagiarism I've ever seen. There are literally hundreds of a parallels."

http://www.davincilegacy.com/Infringement/

http://www.davincilegacy.com/Infring...-9JAN2004.html

http://www.davincilegacy.com/Infringement/Justice.html

What are your thoughts on this?
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Wow....I can't believe it. It's hard to believe how Dan Brown's been receiving all this credit and acclaim for a work that wasn't even entirely his. But I wonder: if The Da Vinci Legacy and The Da Vinci Code are so similiar, then how come TDVL isn't as popular as TDVC? I suppose the answer could be that people become interested in different things as time progresses, but there's still the fact that TDVL/DoG were published before TDVC with very similiar and even identical text.
    Gustav Holst was right!

Here are links to pictures of works of arts talked about in the book.

Mona Lisa
    http://www.artinvest2000.com/gioconda_big.jpg

The Last Supper
    http://images.fbrtech.com/dnew/Italy...rds/Milan1.jpg

Virgin of the Rocks
    http://www.kfki.hu/~arthp/art/l/leonardo/02/2virg_p.jpg

Madonna of the Rocks (DaVinci's second version)
    http://www.kfki.hu/~arthp/art/l/leonardo/02/3virg_l.jpg

The Inverted Pyramid
    http://www.davidphenry.com/Paris/paris153.htm
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

I liked the book. I regarded it as a catalyst for anyone to do further research on the matter, as any in-depth analysis of the ideas discussed in this novel would have slowed the pace down of this "thriller." I had one problem with a plot device though:

Click to see Spoiler:
    Why did the keystone not reveal the location of the Grail immediately? It's not like the riddles that come with the keystone would have kept the "unworthy" from progressing along the path to the Grail. They could be solved by anyone, no matter their true intent. Sure, it might have taken a few days at most for a dedicated grail hunter to solve those riddles, but once the keystone is in the wrong person's hands, it is already too late, so why make the process slightly longer by giving them unescessary riddles? If someone is able to acquire the keystone by getting hold of the bank key and the bank number, they have had obvious access to the sénéchaux, and the person with the keystone has either gained their trust, or been resourceful enough to get a hold of it without it. Any 2 day riddles that follow is like wrapping a valuable object in tin foil after placing it in a safe - unescessary.

Alas, I think the only reason for those riddles was so they may be used as a plot point: to lengthen the characters' adventures. Saunière's love of riddles should and would have been kept seperate from the enormously important task he was entrusted with. He needed to keep the grail secret. I am sure the Priory of Sion's policy regarding the keystone's instructions would have been to keep them concise - since they never know how much time the holder of that keystone would have in case of an emergency. Those riddles would actually endanger the righteous people who would have needed immediate access to the grail for protection or whatever other reason. In short, I thought Brown could have at least dedicated a paragraph or two to construct a valid reason for the necessity of the riddles in the keystone.
    -- Unknown

SnowflakeGirl - the evidence of plagiarism looks pretty strong. Dan Brown's definitely got some 'splainin to do. I'd love to see Brown's reponse to this.

I googled for this and found someone else's opinion on it, he seems to miss a lot of alleged similarities though:
    http://www.right-thoughts.us/comments.php?id=P788_0_1_0

PS: My apologies for a 3rd post in a row, I somehow missed SFG's post the first time through.
    Last edited by Zaius; 05-31-2004 at 05:45 AM.
    -- Unknown

This is very interesting. I just recently read The Davinci Code and I was fascinated by the things the Author said about the Holy Grail and the life of Jesus. Very strange...I would like to read The Davinci Legacy for myself.

Thank you Zaius and SnowflakeGirl for posting the links.

BTW the works of art are breathtaking even on the computer .
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

The resemblances are not just between TDVC and Perdue's The Da Vinci Legacy. The book I'm reading now is Perdue's Daughter of God (published 3 years prior to TDVC) and there are a multitude of very striking parallels between this book and TDVC. There are broad similarities: such as assertions that the feminine sacred was eradicated beginning around the time of Constantine, and that the Catholic Church is working to suppress incontrovertible evidence of female divinity (in this case, a female messiah, hence the title). There are also small details--not sure how much would classify as spoilers, so if you're truly interested, you can see the side-by-side comparisons here:

http://www.davincilegacy.com/Infringement/

http://www.davincilegacy.com/Infrin...s-9JAN2004.html

It sounds to me like TDVC is a conflation of more than one Perdue book.

As for Haejin's question:
    if The Da Vinci Legacy and The Da Vinci Code are so similiar, then how come TDVL isn't as popular as TDVC?
    Maybe it's not just timing but marketing? TDVL and DoG appear to be from smaller publishing houses, and often bestsellers depend on how much your house is willing to push your book.

IMO, Dan Brown's writing style is a bit flashier, sensationalistic--TDVC was harder to put down. But Perdue seems to take more time developing his characters, and while it's not as immediately thrilling, I think it might pay off more in the end.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

caught by the window MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    In a van down by the river!!!... watching the Canucks on my 3" TV
    *yawn*

obviously the content is going to be the same in the book, it's not like Brown was just pulling all of this out of his ass... all the stuff about the sacred feminine, etc, is based on a lot of research that was done my many scholars... also the book "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" which was written in the early 80's

obviously the content of both Purdue and Brown's book is going to be the same regarding that, it's not like Brown ever claimed it was his original idea

and ooooooooooh, OMGZ!! BOTH FEMALE CARACHTERS HAVE GREEN EYES!!! OMG!!!

the one kicker is the whole thing about there being a mistake in only those two books.. but I beleive there is a logical explanation for that... after all, Brown's a really intelligent person, I highly doubt he'd be stupid enough to plagarise another book.

obviously Purdue is showing everyone the facts that have a huge bias towards proving his point.

if anything, this just seems like a jealous author coming up marketing stunt to make his books noticed... and it seems to have worked

+ Reply to Thread