+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: The Da Vinci Code

Dex
    Quote Originally Posted by WomynLee
    I've been thinking of getting Angels and Demons especially after reading the Da Vinci Code. Since you said it was better, Dex, I'm actually going to read it.
    You're not going to regret it, WL

eny- you should read it I don't think it will take you too long to finish reading.
    Bollocks to your pompous hiney! -makerc

Now that I'm a bit free I'll probably start reading the book. (I've been waiting for so long to start reading this )

Funny how several of us were enthusiastic at the start of this thread and ended up gnashing our teeth.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaG
    Okay, so I bought this book last night, and I just finished it. Obviously I thought it was good enough that I read it in pretty much one sitting, but I had one gripe (love interest aside.) Did any of the rest of you feel like it was written in such a way that...I don't know. It was too easy a read? It dealt with some incredibly interesting material, but it felt like the Cliff's Notes of the Cliff's Notes of the Cliff's Notes of what he COULD have said. I'm not saying I expected it to be a textbook or anything, but I would have liked it to be a little less lowest common denominator. God, that makes me sound like SUCH a snob. I don't mean it like that at all. I guess I should just look at it as a jumping-off point for other materials I might enjoy reading.
    Thank you, AmandaG, you were able to crystallize exactly how I felt about this book.

Let me start off by saying, I have to give DVC credit for being a fun, diverting read which I literally could not put down; however, I really feel as if the writing, in terms of craftsmanship, was less than stellar. It contained some really fascinating ideas in terms of religion and revisionist socio-historicism, but the pedestrian prose and maddeningly repetitive exposition made me want to tear my hair out! I felt like he was addressing a kindergarten class--like how many bloody times does he have tell us who is in the Priory of Sion (I know, I know, DaVinci, Botticelli, Victor Hugo...I could definitely pass the pop quiz).

Again, I really had a fun time reading DVC, despite the fact that it felt like Umberto Eco for Dummies. I'd still be willing to give Angels and Demons a try if, as some of you had said, the writing/plotting is better.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I heard Digital Fortress was good. Any comments on that? That's probably going to be my next book after I finish DVC

Well, despite my criticisms, I have been having a lot of fun with this book. I went ahead and ordered Angels and Demons too.

Tonight I cracked the codes on the book cover (I'm mad that I'm too late to win the trip to Paris! *puts on pouty face*), and also played the Dan Brown webquest. It was cheesy, like the part where, for example, [[[you have to email "Robert Langdon" and you get an automated response back from him that tells you where to go next]]], but actually pretty fun!

Anyone who wants to try the webquest, it's here:
    http://www.randomhouse.com/doubleday...index-ctc.html

The code game is here:
    http://www.randomhouse.com/doubleday/davinci/
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I've read Digital Fortress. I liked it but will say that it is rather cookie cutterish at times. I did like the ideas put forth in it. For me that is the attraction to Dan Brown. I read him more for the puzzles and ideas that for the fabulous characters and writing.

I heard it's some sort of binary code related in Digital Fortress?

Jay
    I started "Angels and Demons". My early impression is that it is much better than "Digital Fortress".

AmandaG, I've read 3 of his books, and I agree with your assessment. I was gonna try Digital Fortress, and I probably will read it, cause I already bought it, and I'm so cheap.

I'll come here to rant about it afterwards though.
    ugh. I don't get time to watch TV anymore, much less hang out at the FORT.

But don't you worry, I'll be back in full force on or about November 3rd.

+ Reply to Thread