+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banned Books Week

Banned Books Week

Celebrate Your Freedom to Read September 20–27, 2003

Observed since 1982, the annual event is a celebration of the freedom to read and reminds Americans not to take this precious democratic freedom for granted.

Ten Most Frequently Challenged Books of 2002:

Out of 515 challenges

- Harry Potter series, by J.K. Rowling, for its focus on wizardry and magic.

- Alice series, by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, for being sexually explicit, using offensive language and being unsuited to age group.

- "The Chocolate War" by Robert Cormier (the "Most Challenged" book of 1998), for using offensive language and being unsuited to age group.

- "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou, for sexual content, racism, offensive language, violence and being unsuited to age group.

- "Taming the Star Runner" by S.E. Hinton, for offensive language.

- "Captain Underpants" by Dav Pilkey, for insensitivity and being unsuited to age group, as well as encouraging children to disobey authority.

- "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain, for racism, insensitivity and offensive language.

- "Bridge to Terabithia" by Katherine Paterson, for offensive language, sexual content and Occult/Satanism.

- "Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry" by Mildred D. Taylor, for insensitivity, racism and offensive language.

- "Julie of the Wolves" by Julie Craighead George, for sexual content, offensive language, violence and being unsuited to age group.

This list was compiled by the Office for Intellectual Freedom, American Library Association. The Office for Intellectual Freedom does not claim comprehensiveness in recording challenges. Research suggests that for each challenge reported there are as many as four or five which go unreported.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by sheela

- "Captain Underpants" by Dav Pilkey, for insensitivity and being unsuited to age group, as well as encouraging children to disobey authority.
    This made me crack up! Geez! When the title has the word "underpants" in it, you know that its not going to be a very serious book! Its just a kids book to make them feel happy

I remember reading Roll Of Thunder, Hear My Cry when I was about 10 or 11 years old. I loved that book.

My cousin has a Captain Underpants book. I think it is part of a series, which is just good fun, nothing more! I thought the book was hilarious!

I read The Chocolate War freshman year in high scool. I thought it was a wonderful book, as is Bridge to Teribithia. I might have to pull that one out again and read it.
    Who shot who in the what now?

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    As usual The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn made the top ten. I wish more people would take it in the context and era that it was written and not try to apply it to today's reality.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Always amazes me that Harry Potter gets called out. It's such a wonderful series of books.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

FORT Fogey
    Absolutely and above all it gets kids to read like nothing has in such a long time. If it encourages them to pick up a book and possibly others then let them read. Also, I haven't been bombarded by a gang of wanna-be witches/wizards!

Oh, and if you go to the Allavans web site you can buy a very authentic looking wand that comes in a genuine wand box wrapped in the house scarf of your choice! My daughter just loves hers! However, it doesn't make her toys go back on the shelf with a simple wave.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    Always amazes me that Harry Potter gets called out. It's such a wonderful series of books.
    But dude, they practice MAGIC and sorcery! That MUST be evil, right?

Or maybe someone who took offense at JK using their childhood nickname, "Hogwart".

Quote Originally Posted by John
    But dude, they practice MAGIC and sorcery! That MUST be evil, right?
    Man. Great point. Let's ban the Xanth books, too, while we're at it. Oh, hell, let's just throw out the whole Fantasy section in the bookstore!
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

FORT Fogey
    Paulie, you read Xanth books? I read some in high school but I don't know anyone else who has. The sci-fi nerd who sat next to me in German class gave me one. Is the series still going or are they complete??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast