+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Library catalog system owner sues NYC hotel

Library catalog system owner sues NYC hotel

Library catalog system owner sues NYC hotel

Saturday September 20, 2003 (Dublin, Ohio-AP)

Most of the world's libraries use the more than century-old Dewey Decimal system to catalog nonfiction books.

Who knew it doesn't come free?

A New York City luxury hotel that names its rooms and floors after Dewey categories has been sued for trademark infringement in federal court in Columbus. The Library Hotel overlooks the New York Public Library.

The Online Computer Library Center has owned the Dewey trademark rights for 15 years. Libraries pay 500 dollars a year to use the system.

The nonprofit organization in the Columbus, Ohio suburb of Dublin also provides cataloging and research services for 45-thousand member libraries worldwide.

The lawsuit seeks triple the Library Hotel's profits or triple the library group's damages, whichever is greater.

I had no idea the Dewey Decimal system was privately owned.

I've seen the Library Hotel on the Travel Channel (Great Hotels, with my imaginary love-slave, Samantha Brown). Neat idea. Sucks to be them right now, though.

Am I the only person who thinks this lawsuit is frivolous? I hope they get triple the library group's damages...which I imagine amounts to 1/2 cent.

Can anyone put up a good argument why this lawsuit has any merit whatsoever??

I think the Library group has the right to $500 for every year the hotel has existed and not paid the license fees. No more, no less.

John, how long has the library hotel been around? I think your idea plus court costs would be just right. Although if they waited more than 5 years to exercise their claim, it is a little stinky.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

I saw that episode too John. I was much more impressed with The Time than The Library. The Library supposedly has these incredibly "themed" rooms. The only real difference between rooms was what type of books were stocked, and the subject of one small picture on the wall. Maybe I've seen one too many design shows, but that doesn't really strike me as a themed room.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    so if they win, does this mean that all theme hotels are in trouble of stupid, mindless, money grubbing law suits cause they have a room call the Tahiti room or the Las Vegas suite and such like that?

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I've seen the Library Hotel on the Travel Channel (Great Hotels, with my imaginary love-slave, Samantha Brown). Neat idea. Sucks to be them right now, though.
    You should hop over to the Travel Channel's website and check it out when you have a minute. I'm a big fan of Samantha Brown's show too. She gets on the boards and talks to her fans about once every two months. She's pretty cool.

back to subject-I think the damages they are seeking are a bit excessive. I agree with what John and others have said. They shouldn't have to pay any more than a library would have to pay for the system (plus minor damages). Unfortunately, it was probably Sam Brown's show that alerted the organization that the hotel was using the system.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Leo
    Premium Member
    The lawsuit has been settled.

N.Y. Hotel Settle Dewey Decimal Case
    Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio - A library-themed New York City hotel whose floors are divided based on the Dewey Decimal system has agreed to acknowledge in its advertising that a nonprofit library cooperative owns the system.

The settlement announced Monday also requires the Library Hotel to make a donation in an undisclosed amount to a nonprofit organization that promotes children's reading. The library overlooks the New York Public Library.

The Dewey Decimal Classification has been used to track books for 120 years, and the OCLC Online Computer Library Center in Ohio has owned the system's trademark since 1988.

OCLC sued the hotel in September after finding the hotel used the system to divide the building, with each floor dedicated to one of Dewey's 10 classifications. For instance, the eighth floor is divided into subjects embracing literature, the 800 category of the system.

+ Reply to Thread