+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shopgirl - A Novella

Yeah, i just saw the trailer and the leads are Steve Martin, Claire Danes and Jason Schwartzman. It looks pretty good. Those of you that read the book, what do you think about the casting?

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

giz
    I guess, physically, I pictured someone taller and more aloof looking than Claire Danes. Like a younger Anjelica Houston. If there is such a thing.

Agreed - I thought of someone taller, darker, more reserved. I can't think of an actress who would fit my mental picture. When I heard it was Claire, though, I wasn't disappointed. She has a fragility about her that could work well.

Steve Martin I LOVE, but I really thought Kevin Spacey would have been perfect. I must have made myself believe he would play the lead because I pictured him when I read the book. I'm sure Steve will do a great job. It's just that he has been the dad in so many movies now, that I always see him as that zany, warm fuzzy guy. This character is a little darker, a little self absorbed and not comedic.

The younger male lead could be played by just about any of the male actors around today. I'm not familiar with the name that was mentioned, but to me it doesn't really matter.
    "if at first you don't succeed, destroy any evidence that you ever tried" - The Office

Interesting... I could totally seen Claire Danes as Mirabelle just because, like you said momofdogs, she has that fragility that totally fits the part. I'll have to give it some thought, but there wasn't any other actress that stood out more in my mind for the role. I could just picture Claire in my head as i was reading.

I totally see what you're saying about Steve Martin - you totally picture him as the dad in parenthood or cheaper by the dozen, but i'm looking forward to seeing him in such a different role. oh and the younger guy, jason schwartzman, he was in i heart huckabees and rushmore, if that helps at all...

The younger male lead could be played by just about any of the male actors around today. I'm not familiar with the name that was mentioned, but to me it doesn't really matter.

Benjamin Franklin.

FORT Newbie
    i can't believe steve martin writes! i always thoguht it was just a coincidence. the book was kinda sad but felt very close.

As well I highly enjoyed the book! It's definitely entertaining. I think Claire Danes would fit well as the shop girl - good to know she'll be hitting the big screen again, but that's off topic. Anyway, I recommend this book to anyone who wants a pleasant read.
    "How do you feel about marriage and commitment?" - Britney Spears
    "I feel that...I feel that love is love...love has...I don't believe in marriage. I believe you can get married." - Kevin Federline

Huh? I think I just got stupider...
    Please do your part to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina: DONATE!

Quote Originally Posted by azais
    i can't believe steve martin writes! i always thoguht it was just a coincidence. the book was kinda sad but felt very close.
    i know, i couldn't believe how deep and heartfelt this book was. i always thought of steve martin as only a comedian, but his writing ability def makes me even more excited to see him play the lead.

Benjamin Franklin.

Quote Originally Posted by momof2dogs
    I can't think of an actress who would fit my mental picture.
    When he described her eyes, I felt he was describing his former wife, actress Victoria Tennant.

interesting... i dont know anything about her. but that would definitely make sense if at least part of the character was based off someone specific.

Benjamin Franklin.

fyi: i read an article yesterday about the real woman this story is based off of: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/18/movies/18roch.html

i thought it was really interesting. what do you think?

Benjamin Franklin.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12