+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you get your "kicks"?

How do you get your "kicks"?

Duxxy posted this in another thread, but she wanted to know the main source of everyone's reading materials. I thought it was a great question, and I'm curious too.

Duxxy's original post:
    "What is the main source of your reading materials?
    Do you buy brand new?
    Do you buy used?
    Do you wait forever on the library's To Lend list?
    I'm finding my reading habit to be almost as bad as a smoking habit must be!! At $12 a book and I can read 2 a week, it adds up!
    I have started buying used (I hate the smell) and trading with friends - although no one seems to share my taste in novels" - Duxxy

FORTer's, how do you get your books?

More questions:
    How attached are you to your books? (i.e. Do you read them and then rid yourself of the books, or do you find them too hard to let go of, and end up hoarding them like precious antiques? When you loan them, is it annoying when you don't get them back right away? Or do you read it and lose interest, and release it and give it away easily?)

Do you borrow books from friends?
    Do you loan books to friends?

How large is your collection? How many shelves are you currently weighin' down?
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Gotta Love that Scout scooberoo's Avatar
    How attached are you to your books? I don't mind if people keep them for a while, but I never just get rid of them. When I'm done with them, I keep them in my shelf.

Do you borrow books from friends? Yes. Actually, it's usually friend's mothers.
    Do you loan books to friends? I think I'm only lending one at the moment.

How large is your collection? How many shelves are you currently weighin' down? It's not too big, because I just started it this year. So it's about five (large) shelves full. It's mostly Agatha Christie books.
    Last edited by scooberoo; 09-02-2003 at 09:49 AM.

I buy about 75% new. The rest are a combination of books given/lent to me by friends, bought at 1/2 price bookstore or lent by the library.

Most of the books that I buy new are given to friends. Sher gets a pile of books for Christmas and her birthday from me and any time in between that my book cases are bursting. I have no room in my home for books I have already read. Since my husband never gets rid of books and keeps buying more, I have to let mine go. I do have a tiny book case that I need to clear out again. A very precious few books will never leave that case.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

I buy all new. Paperbacks only, though. I don't get rid of them, and I rarely lend them, after a few bad experiences.

In Florida, I joined the library, and made great use of it. Here, the library's a little far away (half hour drive), so I really can't just go hang out there like I did in Florida. Plus, I think I owe this library money from years and years ago, and I'm a little afraid to go in there now. I think I'll set off an alarm or something, especially if I wanted to get a library card.

Used books. But nicely used books, y'know. Either at the used bookstore back at the library in Ottawa, or currently, at Tenth Edition in Toronto (which is a hybrid between a true used bookstore and a new one - both in quality and in price.) If I'm lucky enough, I'll also find something I like at the Bargains section in my local Chapters/Indigo - a lot of the stuff they have is really quite cheap and - this coming from an experienced reader - quality reads.

BUT, I just went to a rummage sale at a Zen Buddhist temple, and I got 6 excellent, critically-acclaimed books for just 2 dollars (Canadian)! 4 of these books are almost brand spankin' new - "Tender is the Night", "The Rapture of Canaan", "The Thought Gang", and "The Butterfly Chair". The other two - in very good condition - are "Contact" and "Alias Grace".

Yeeeaaah baby!

My friend, who recently moved, also gave me two of her books which she knew I really wanted. One is a big coffee-table artbook on Dali, and the other is Nino Ricci's "Testament". Thanks, Christina!

I'm a very good book shopper, IMHO, of course. And no, I never lend out books (they're my babies, even if I dog-ear them like hell), nor do I sell them - my conscience just won't allow me to do it. It's like - after all the pleasure they've given me and all the abuse I've given them - that's how I repay them?

I dunno. Every sale would feel like a betrayal. Or maybe I'm just neurotic.

You're not neurotic Nausicaa, I can't get rid of my books either.

I'm weak. I keep everything. Even when I dislike it. And like John, I've had some really bad experiences when people took my "babies" far, far, away and lost them or abused them *sniff, sniff*. Now I hoard them in a completely impracital manner. I have four, five-shelf bookcases and one half bookcase full of them. I buy them new, I buy them used. I buy them in the store, I buy them online. I buy them when it rains, I buy them when it's fine. I buy them when I can, Sam I am.

I should have added this question to the bibliophiles: What was your largest library fine ever? I'm ashamed to say that I recently paid a $43 fine. Yes! I know! Truly amazing! But I kept things for a looooonnnnggg time that time. I usually pay it when I finally check out something new.

Side note: A friend of mine is getting her Library of Science Master's, and apparently librarians are the most likely group to have overdue books. Funny/interesting.
    Last edited by Shazzer; 09-02-2003 at 12:51 PM.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

FORT Fan
    I have a very large personal library. My books take up most of two rooms in the farmhouse. I don't part with my books. I have more books than I will ever be able to read in my lifetime...and am always accumulating more.

I have some of my books from childhood. I have the children's books that used to be read to me when I visited my grandmothers house. As the oldest grandchild, I was asked what I would like to have from the house...and I chose the books.

I purchased many of the Oprah book club books in book stores and the rest I got on ebay. I never pass up a book store where I am most likely to purchase something from the bargain book counter. I have attended several auctions where I purchased books by the boxful for only a dollar or two. My husband attends garage sales as a hobby and he is always bringing me home treasures. On a recent trip we stopped at several garage sales on the way home...and by the end of the day ...I had two more shopping bags full of books (I get most of my hard cover books this way).

I tend to collect all the books of authors that I have liked. I have a large collection of Michener, Herman Wouk, Leon Uris, Jeffrey Archer, Bob Greene, Nelson Demille, Mauve Binchey, and Margaret Atwood. If I find a book I like and I want to read more by that author...I usually find that I can get several books by the same author on ebay. I also shop amazon.com

I love history and have every book ever written about the USS Pueblo, and scores (if not hundreds) of biographies of sports figures, celebrities, historical figures, astronauts, soldiers, and political figures.

I have many old volumes of history books and also some antique books more than a hundred years old. I have some antique school books and early readers.

I RARELY lend my books...nor do I borrow them. I like to have books...that way I can take my tiime reading them...and have them on my shelf to invoke memories later. I can look at a book and remember when I read it...where I was and what was happening in my life at that time. My books are my treasures. People who truly love me...give me books as gifts...and know that I most likely will give them books as well.

I had boxed up one batch of books that were really special to me...my daughter mistakenly took it (thinking they were books I no longer wanted) and sold them in a garage sale when I was out of town. Somebody got my first edition Gone with the Wind and my Dick, Jane & Sally first grade reader (teacher's edition) for really cheap!

Well if you saw the original thread that these questions came from you will all know that I am a hard core paperback fan. I LOVE PULP FICTION (no, not the movie) I love my books but I love the story even more. If there is a book that I think I will want to read again, I hold on to it. I will lend my popular fiction.. let's call it what it really is .. lending = gifting because it never comes back.
    I buy about 40% of my books brand new, I would say 50% comes from the used book store (I go about a week in advance of wanting to read what I buy and I use a Bounce dryer sheet as a bookmark just to get rid of the smell) the other 10% comes from the library or on loan from friends.
    My book collection would be massive, had I saved everything I have ever purchased but.... about 15 years ago my father decided that my room full of books (covering every surface) was a fire hazzard and he gave me 3 days to get them out of the house.. this is when I discovered the used book store would give you credit to buy books, and that was the end of the stacks for me. I have a few books - a 5 shelf bookcase full but it doesnt begin to reflect the mountain of books that have sat on my bedside table.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Marysafan
    ...I have a large collection of Michener, Herman Wouk, Leon Uris, Jeffrey Archer, Bob Greene, Nelson Demille, Mauve Binchey, and Margaret Atwood...
    YAY! Finally, an Atwood fan! I thought people here at FoRT didn't even know she existed. One of my fave writers - powerful, unprententious prose...love the fact that she espouses the Victorian view of literature - social commentary and all that...a great eye for detail, intimate prose, tight pacing, not out there to impress, but to tell a great story. Her books are striking and witty, not pedestrian, not too literary, and very relevant. Unique writer, doesn't force it, well, except when it comes to conclusions (i.e. for "Robber Bride", "Handmaid's Tale", "Alias Grace".)

(Sorry. Off-topic, I know. Carry on. )

I like Margaret Atwood too, Nausicaa!! Alias Grace is a very good read- you got it dirt cheap!! ( And I definately agree with you on the endings of The Robber Bride, and Alias Grace. A little to much for me.I haven't read A Handmaid's Tale Yet, it's on my shelf).
    I'm reading Oryx and Crake right now. It's pretty strange, but very interesting.
    In regards to my book buying habits, I'm really a impulse buyer. There's a nice used book store by my house, and I frequently walk over there and end up picking up four or five books. Very often titles/authors that I've never heard of!! I buy new and used books. They really are my biggest achilles heel in regards to spending!!
    I never give my books away either. I need a bigger shelf, it's overflowing!!
    Last edited by brenna; 09-03-2003 at 01:22 AM.
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast