+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On Your Mark

On Your Mark

What do you use to mark the books that you read? I have used many things to keep my place from chewing gum wrapper to finely a cross stitched item. Are you a ribbon, yarn piece, receipt, post-it or leather strip kind of person?

I have narrowed it down to two kinds of marker. For leisurely reading I a like glass beaded marker that I made myself. They also make great gifts to friends. It just seems luxurious. My reading time seems more special.

[IMG]images/img/GlassBookmarks.jpg[/IMG]

For marking particular lines when studying or marking recipes I use Book Darts. They do not stain or bend the pages. I adore those little suckers. They are not bulky and are easily movable though securely stay in place when needed. Check out the Book Dart site. These come in a few different types of packaging and many quantity choices.

Book Darts

So how do you mark your spot? Do you dog ear? Do tell!
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

I'm a dog ear person all the way.
    Who shot who in the what now?

I tend to just remember the page number I left off at, but...those glass beaded markers are beautiful Feif! What a great idea. I'm sure I've got plenty of materials at home to make one of my own. I think I'll give it a try.

Greenie! Dog-eared pages. *shudder*

You can't even tell I've read a book when I'm done. I barely crack the cover to read what's inside. I use a papyrus bookmark with hieroglyphs on it that my in-laws brought me from Egypt.

Feif, your beads are bee-YOO-tiful! Great thread idea, BTW!
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Dog-ears. They show love.

Zhora, Paulie, Thank you.

I actually took the idea from a similar item I saw selling at the book store. They wanted $8.50 for those suckers. I just made it my own using slightly different materials. I even modified it to make a few Bible bookmarks with more than one tail end with one large ornamental bead at the top. My mother really loved her's. Sher's mom ended up with one of those too. I really went wild making them for a while and haveway too many beads, yet I always wish I had more.

Zhora, Send me a picture of your finished bookmark. I would love to see what you come up with. My husband likes to choose his own colors and wants two tiny and one medium bead on each end. He has a couple that are really simple but striking. The kids like to use multicolored yarn and plastic beads. they have fun making them and always seem to lose them. I am afraid that one day I will open a box or drawer and a pile of them will have been collecting there for years.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

I would never dream of dog-earing a book.

I use a black leather bookmark with a compass imprint on it. Woohoo. But failing that, I'll use anything - my many amazon.com free bookmarks, a piece of paper, and even in one recent case, an empty panty hose package (not the egg, those things make sucky bookmarks).

*picturing John's book with a huge plastic egg inside*
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I usually cram in whatever sort of paper object is readily available, whether it be a bookmark from the bookstore, junkmail, piece of torn envelope, gum wrapper, whatever. But your beaded book markers are beautiful, Feifer! Mind if I steal that idea for Christmas presents? Unless you have a web site where you have them for sale....just an idea...
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

OneTVslave, Thank you! You may certainly use the idea for Christmas. Just about everyone I know got a bookmark for Christmas or some other event last year. I have thought about making them for sale online, but would not have enough manual labor to put out a quality product in a timely manner. I am very picky about what goes with what and the differing sizes and styles of glass beads is maddening. It would be hard to make say 100 of the same item. They are each so unique. That is why that one lady wanted $8.50 for her trinkets. I figure it takes me about 30 mins to make one. Did I mention that I am particular? Maybe one day I will actually break out and do it. My son starts school tomorow and I will have an extra three hours a day. My three year old daughter will fill that, I am sure.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast