+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Lion's Game or Four Blind Mice?

FORT Fogey
    I liked the Lions game, except I read it on a plane and thought for sure I kept seeing the terrorist the entire time!

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    LOL! I really loved that book though. Best book of my recent-ness. No one has read Four Blind Mice?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    Yep. I've enjoyed every DeMille book I've read. Plum Island, The Lion's Game, The General's Daughter, The Gold Coast. All very good, I thought. He's an excellent storyteller.
    Hey there, Paulie, you old Cabana Boy, you.

My two favorite Demille books: Plum Island and The General's Daughter. Like Blood Work, GD suffers from great-book-bad-movie syndrome.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by firegirl
    I liked the Lions game, except I read it on a plane and thought for sure I kept seeing the terrorist the entire time!
    Hi there, Firegirl.

I hear ya there. I should have known better, but I read Airframe before a trans-Atlantic flight.

Crichton goes on and on about how many parts go into an airplane and how all of them have to work 100 percent, etc. etc.

In my flight, right about the time that the plane in Airframe goes into a nosedive, the "fasten seatbelts" sign came on, and--I kid you not--the pilot of my flight came over the intercom with this announcement: "Ah, good evening, folks, we're having a slight mechanical malfunction..."

I almost became the "Oh-god-we're-all-going-to-die!" guy you see in the movies, even as the pilot announced "...it's only the fasten seatbelt sign malfunctioning."

Irony, thy name is "Air Travel."
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    Hey there, Paulie, you old Cabana Boy, you.

My two favorite Demille books: Plum Island and The General's Daughter. Like Blood Work, GD suffers from great-book-bad-movie syndrome.
    Hey, phat32, nice to see you again. I haven't seen the GD movie yet, but I'm not in any rush. The book was so good I can't imagine NOT being disappointed in the film.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

FORT Fogey
    I read airframe too, it can get you for sure!!!

I love Nelson DeMille! I've been reading his books over the past few weeks. I'm reading The Lion's Game right now. It's very good. I love John Corey - he's hilarious. Khalil is an interesting character.

I also read:

The General's Daughter - I liked it a lot

Plum Island - very funny book but the plot got a little weak near the end.

NightFall - very good. I couldn't put it down.

Spencerville - DeMille's worst book. It started off good but it got very boring near the end. I didn't like it at all. I thought the main character was a big wimp.

I know this thread is a month old, but I love Nelson DeMille and want to talk about his books. I've read them all, love almost all of them (and there's a new one out that I just got from the library. I'm blanking on the title right now, but it's a John Corey story.)

Being a big reader, I am usually very disappointed when a movie, based on the book, comes out. Therefore, I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed General's Daughter, the movie. In fact, it's one of the few movies I've ever seen that I thought did NOT suffer from good book/bad movie syndrome--due, in large part, to the performances of James Woods and, also, the actor who played the general (he also had a role in L.A. Confidential; James Cromwell, I think.) And even though I was a bit skeptical about John Travolta in the lead role (I would have preferred someone like Brian Dennehy).I thought he held his own and certainly didn't ruin the movie. I thought the movie was very powerful, actually.

I already wrote about this in another thread, but has anyone here read the Spenser books? The author is Robert B. Parker, and if you like Nelson DeMille and John Corey, you'll LOVE Robert Parker and Spenser. The Spenser in the book does not really resemble the Spenser of the TV series, because the Spenser in the book is a total wise guy and even more psycho than John Corey (as hard as that may be to believe). And there are 30 Spenser novels, too, so you won't run out of reading material any time soon. (My advice, though, is to NOT start at the beginning of the series, because the first 3 or 4 books aren't as good as the rest. It 's not that they're bad or anything, they're actually very good, but they don't contain the humor that developed as Robert Parker got more and more used to writing.) So, my advice is to go tothe library, pick any Spenser book, and just dive in.

Maybe I'll start a Spenser thread

I read The Gold Coast last month. I thought it was just okay. I hated the ending.

Re: The Lion's Game or Four Blind Mice?

I just finished reading Gate House, which is a sequel to Gold Coast. Wow, I really enjoyed that! Also, he has another one out, The Lion, a sequel to The Lion's Game which I read a few years back and loved it. I'm looking for it in paperback. He is an amazing author!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast