+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    They are good, aren't they? I just read another of their books, Brimstone. It was riveting, although I find Pendergast just a little unbelievable at times. Does the guy ever make a mistake?
    I know, sometimes it's a little too predictable or unbelievable. But I think their best book has been RIPTIDE and CABINET OF CURIOSITIES. But I can not wait to read BRIMSTONE. Was it worth the read?
    In these times of Greatness, what is better than being a Bostonian? Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics (NO. 5anyone?) and I'll even give props to the Black N Gold!!!

I just finished Deana Martins book Memories are Made of This- Dean Martin through a daughters eyes. Very good. I really need to get back into my Sue Grafton, Kinsey Milhone mystery series A is for.., B is for ..., and also the cute Lilian Jackson Braun The cat who..... series.... need to escape the world a wee bit each day again.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I just finished Trace by Patricia Cornwall...all I can say was that I was disappointed in Blow Fly but this book Trace makes Blow Fly look like a bestseller? Her writing style has sure changed alot over the last 2 or more books she has written

Quote Originally Posted by shyra
    I just finished Trace by Patricia Cornwall...all I can say was that I was disappointed in Blow Fly but this book Trace makes Blow Fly look like a bestseller? Her writing style has sure changed alot over the last 2 or more books she has written
    I was talking to my mom the other day and she didnt get into any details about the book, she is still reading Trace, but says the writing is different, she can't put her finger on it. I have not read any of cornwall so I cant comment personally.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Isn't the change in writing style due to her writing in the third person, as opposed to the first? It was the multiple perspectives that really ruined Blow Fly for me. It just doesn't work, and it gives Cornwell more possibilities to let multiple people tell us just how great Scarpetta is. Too bad, cause the earlier Scarpetta series (in my opinion, from Postmortem to Point Of Origin, with the exception of Cause Of Death and Unnatural Exposure which were quite mediocre - although masterpieces compared to Blow Fly...) are terrific.

Still haven't read Trace; I'm waiting for the paperback edition.

Has anyone read Katy Reichis? (spelling?) Isn't her heroine a medical examiner as well? I need to fill the void Cornwell's left with something similar.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Geek, I haven't heard of Katy Reichis, but I LOVE the medical examiner mystery/suspence type of book. I've also grown tired of Cornwell's last few books (haven't read Trace yet).

I'm almost finished listening to "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd. Almost finished and quite good.

Correction: The actual spelling is Kathy Reichs and the heroine is a forensic anthropologist from North Carolina. I'll definitely pick one up to see if it measures with Cornwell's earlier stuff.

While I'm at it, does anyone want to recommend any good recentish crime novelists? Preferably American or Canadian ones, as I pretty much have the European ones covered. This year I've read and loved Harlan Coben, Giles Blunt and Michael Connelly. Any similar ones out there?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

How about anything and everything but Elmore Leonard? (This man is my personal pop-lit god. Great characters, great dialogue, excellent plotting, and the output of a minor Dumas. You'd do best to begin with his most well-known works (i.e. Get Shorty, Freaky Deaky, Out of Sight) and perhaps not his most recent though.)

Also commendable but also not very recent-ish are Caleb Carr's The Alienist and Eric Zencey's Panama (both historical thrillers, mind you.)

Ah, you've probably read all these anyway. I'm not a big crime/mystery reader, so my two cents in this area are probably pitiful.

Quote Originally Posted by aliasmq
    I know, sometimes it's a little too predictable or unbelievable. But I think their best book has been RIPTIDE and CABINET OF CURIOSITIES. But I can not wait to read BRIMSTONE. Was it worth the read?
    Yeah, it's good. I was hooked on it. I love the premise. I think you'll like it.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    Correction: The actual spelling is Kathy Reichs and the heroine is a forensic anthropologist from North Carolina. I'll definitely pick one up to see if it measures with Cornwell's earlier stuff.
    Kathy Reichs is great. Start at the beginning with her books. There is a similarity between the Dr. Scarpetta and Dr. Temperance Brennan, but Brennan is softer and nicer.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    While I'm at it, does anyone want to recommend any good recentish crime novelists? Preferably American or Canadian ones, as I pretty much have the European ones covered. This year I've read and loved Harlan Coben, Giles Blunt and Michael Connelly. Any similar ones out there?
    I've read and loved everything by Connelly, and I'm getting close to covering all the non-Bolitar Harlan Coben novels.

Try the earlier Alex Delaware mysteries by Jonathan Kellerman. (Everything up to and including Devil's Waltz was fantastic.)

I also enjoyed A Drink Before the War, one in the series of Kenzie/Gennaro mysteries by Dennis Lehane (Mystic River).

I couldn't put down The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy (best known for L.A. Confidential).

The early Kellermans are more like Connelly--dark subject matter, ultra-realism (especially the dialogue) punctuated by quirky humor. The setting is L.A., too.

Lehane is more like Coben--wicked and cynical humor and exceptionally dark subject matter, including unflinching portrayals of violence. Lehane's novels are based in Boston whereas Coben's are based in New Jersey, so there's a Eastern seaboard flavor to their characters and their situations.

Ellroy's novels defy categorization. He's a master of the crime genre.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

+ Reply to Thread