+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I finished Jane Alison's The Love Artist tonight. Didn't think I would like it, but I love it. It has my recommendation, and I've decided to buy more of her stuff.

I'm planning on starting Pandora by Anne Rice tomorrow, and a coworker loaned me Dan Brown's Angels and Demons. I better get cracking.

Dan Brown's Digital Fortress.

It's been pointed out before, but it's worth pointing out again: Read more than two Brown novels, and you start to realize he's a one-trick pony. His punk-ass "twists" are played out, dawg.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I am going to start reading Trace by Patricia Cornwell as soon as I leave the fort which might not be for another hour or so at least.

I just started the Rocky Road to Romance by Janet Evanovich ... so far I'm glad I only paid half price for it.

Broadway I really enjoyed Blue Dahlia too.. I was ticked off that the next two parts of the trilogy wouldn't be released until late 2005!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I just finished a book called "Losing The Moon", cannot remember the author and I loaned the book to a friend so can't run go look! Anyway, it is a very sweet story about a woman who thinks her college love just up and left her without any "closure" and she doesn't hear from him for 20 years and then, when she is happily married with 2 kids of her own, she goes to a football game at her alma mater and it turns out her son is dating the daughter of her college love! It captures beautifully all the shock, the awkwardness and the pitfalls of their situation. He is just as stunned as she is and he is in a kind of unhappy marriage and wanting to re-ignite things with her. Lots of emotion - especially since their children are dating and for a long time have no idea that their respective parents were very, very close.

I really liked the fact that the story was set in Georgia, too - which is where I live. The fictional university in the story is obviously a disguised University of Georgia (go dawgs!) I picked this book because I always wondered what it would be like to "re-unite" with my first true love. It made me cry but also made me realize that you really CAN'T go back and re-create something.....people just grow and change way too much.

Anyway, I recommend this book for anyone who loves a bittersweet story told in a very realistic way.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    Johnny Tremain. For school. I don't like it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    I'm looking for something new. What's this like?
    Lucy. Childs and Preston write mysteries that seem to deal with the occult. The protagonists are strange but interesting people, especially the chameleon-like Pendergast, who explains how he cracked the mysteries with the most esoteric, arcane bits of knowledge. Reading them makes me feel positively dull because I never know ANY of the fascinating facts he spouts off when he tells how he found the killer. I resolve to commit to memory this knowledge but usually find I've forgotten it before I close the book.
    I like to try to figure out which authors write which parts in a book. I've always wondered how that works. Does one author write a chapter and send it to the other to read and write a followup chapter? Does one consult and one do the writing? Does one proofread the other's work? Writing seems to me to be a solitary effort; I don't see how they sort it out.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Night Shift by Stephen King and Fingersmith by Sarah Waters. I like alternating between two books depending on my mood.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I'm re-reading Anne McCaffrey's Pern books for the umpteenth time. I'm currently in Dragondrums and The White Dragon. Someday I am going to have to find all of the ingredients for Klah.

Cintra Wilson's Colors Insulting to Nature.

My god, 'tis the love child of a PMS-ing Dorothy Parker and Dave Eggers on acid!

And stuff like this is so addictive, like damn Twinkies. You can't stop at just one. Pretty soon you're gobbling up everything like it(you know what I'm talking about, the self-conscious asides filled with ironic critiques about culture and subcultures and vainglorious grandstanding and philosophical detours and angst and metafictional soundbites in a heady concoction of verbal gymnastics), and before you know it you've officially become part of the McSweeney's/Might bacchante set.

It's so good, so good! But when will it stop? When will the vicissitudes of public opinion change, and Lit get countercultural on our ass and bomb us back to the good ol' days of Raymond Carver and Ernest Hemingway and the quiet desperation seeking through the stagnant prose that we know is Good for Us but Tastes like Bran?

'Cause it's bound to happen soon. You can get sick of Twinkies, you know.

+ Reply to Thread