+ Reply to Thread
Page 91 of 699 FirstFirst ... 4181828384858687888990919293949596979899100101141191591 ... LastLast
Like Tree218Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by candor
    How to Lose Friends and Alienate People, by Tobey Young. Very funny and well written. About his tenure at Vanity Fair.

I read this book last year, great book! Im glad your enjoying it!
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

Jay
    I have just started reading The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason. It is supposed to be similar to The Da Vinci Code.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulahbaby
    I read this book last year, great book! Im glad your enjoying it!
    I love the book-jacket blurb from Graydon Carter. "Toby's a piece of gum that stuck to my shoe five years ago and that I still can't get off. I basically forgot to fire Toby Young every day for two years."
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ó Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    City of Glass - Paul Auster
    I loved City of Glass, Nausi. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it when you're done. I was just haunted by the way it completely turns the noir/mystery genre inside out and back again, with all this freaky, Kafka-esque identity and metaphysical stuff besides. It's a real head trip!

As for me, I ordered America: The Book by Jon Stewart from Amazon and am anxiously awaiting its arrival in the mail. Also, in an attempt to make sense of the recent US elections, I got the book What's the Matter with Kansas?: How Conservatives Won the Heart of America by Thomas Frank that I heard about on Air America. I'm still puzzled as to why people of the middle or working classes would vote for a party that does not support their economic interests for the sake of so-called "moral values." Maybe reading this will help me understand.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

currently reading my lit books...
    exams coming up in a few days..

Othello, Measure for measure
    are some of the few..
    each time one loves is the only time one ever love...differences of object merely intensify the passion

I've just started The Last World by Christoph Ransmayr. I'm only about 10-15 pages in because I'm getting sidetracked by 100 Hair Raising Little Horror Stories and 100 Vicious Little Vampire Stories. I Barnes and Noble.
    Ludicrous speed!

Right now I'm reading Slammerkin by Emma Donoghue, a novel set in 18th century London. So far, so good.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I've just finished (as in, ten minutes ago) Mystic River. (I'm a little behind the times, I know.) I'm stunned and overwhelmed by just how powerful this book is.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    I've just finished (as in, ten minutes ago) Mystic River. (I'm a little behind the times, I know.) I'm stunned and overwhelmed by just how powerful this book is.
    I loved it, phat. I was totally surprised by the ending. I've meant to see the movie, but just never have.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Around the time Sean told Whitey that he was overlooking a small detail that would explain everything, I realized that Lehane was dropping a big clue. I put the book aside for a moment and thought about two questions:

1. Means, motive, opportunity--the third doesn't matter so much, but motive plays a big role in the mystery. Everyone seemed to love Katie Marcus. Who has motive to kill her? As for means, who has access to Just Ray Harris's old gun?

2. Lehane has brought up all the modern bogeymen with this novel, so does he want to "say" something with the murder of Katie Marcus?

It occurred to me that Silent Ray probably knew about his father's gun, as well as had a motive--if his brother ran off with Katie, no one (certainly not his crazy mother) would stay and care about him like his brother could. (This wasn't mentioned explicitly, but it's fairly obvious.)

Also, I could see how Lehane would want to make a point about the insanity of child murderers and what that says about the US as a society.

Powerful and tragic.

If I ever teach a college-level course in Lit 101 or Composition 101, you can bet this one's going to be on my syllabus. So many good $100 college questions: Who is the most evil person in this novel? Is Jimmy justified in revenge killing his daughter's murderer? What if he had killed the right person? Are Dave, Jimmy and Sean the products of their nature or their neighborhood/culture? Can Dave's tragedy explain the way Sean and Jimmy are as adults?

I have twenty questions I'd like to ask a roomful of first-year college students to hear what they think.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

+ Reply to Thread