+ Reply to Thread
Page 90 of 718 FirstFirst ... 408081828384858687888990919293949596979899100140190590 ... LastLast
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    Dinah, I'm just about finished Something Rotten. I'm not as entranced with it as the first two, but hell, I HAVE to find out what happens. I think Lost was my favourite out of the three.
    I fell asleep reading last night and now find I must go back and start from the beginning because I don't remember much. I HATE when that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by toque
    If you can believe it, I just dusted off my old copy of Tom Sawyer, and have started reading it again...
    I love Tom Sawyer, but my favorite Mark Twain book is A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, followed by Huckleberry Finn. I haven't seen Lost so I don't know how it relates. I need more time to watch TV. I'm just going to have to quit my job - I don't have time for everything!

I just finished reading the book Magical Thinking by Augusten Burroughs. I stayed home from work today sick and I finished half the book. It was really good.

The Thirty Six Dramatic Situations - Georges Polti

"The American Boy" by Andrew Taylor. Beautifully written and atmospheric. It takes place in early 19th century England, and the American boy is no other than a very young Edgar Allan Poe. So far I'm loving it.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    I've been toying with the idea of buying this, but the last few books by Patricia Cornwell have not held my interest like the earlier ones. I don't know why, but Dr. Scarpetta just doesn't seem as likable as she used to be.
    I haven't gotten around to buying Trace yet either. My problem with Blow Fly is that it was written in the third person, thus alienating the reader from Scarpetta. Also, she was hardly in there at all. I was hoping that the third person thing was just a temporary thing, but Trace is also written in the third person. I guess Cornwell wants to introduce more characters, but she does that at the expense of the reader's close relationship to Scarpetta - which is one of the biggest strengths in the Scarpetta books.

Also, is it just me or has Scarpetta become increasingly unbearable in the later books? She's such a know-it-all.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    I just finished reading "We're just like you, only prettier" by Celia Rivenburk

I couldnt stop laughing...it was great... all about being a southern woman...lol
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

I finally got myself motivated a few days ago to finish the book I bought in Chicago.....The Hazards of Sleeping Alone by Elise Juska. It was an interesting read about a mother/daughter relationship, although not quite as good as her first book (Getting Over Jack Wagner) I didn't think.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    What am I reading right now? Bust magazine. (ETA: Before anyone gets any funny ideas, it's the cool women's zine, not to be confused with other periodicals like Bust-y magazine )
    Ahh... excellent selection! I bought Bust when Elyse was published inside, and I remember being sufficiently embarrassed at the cashier.

I'm currently reading Lucan's Pharsalia and a book called Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong. I still haven't finished Lolita. Damn college and my ANTM addiction, stupid waste of time, not reading enough, grumble, grumble...

How to Lose Friends and Alienate People, by Tobey Young. Very funny and well written. About his tenure at Vanity Fair.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Empire Falls - Richard Russo
    City of Glass - Paul Auster

+ Reply to Thread