+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 717 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109509 ... LastLast
Like Tree265Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I've read probably a half-dozen Clancy books, and, at the time I was reading them, I enjoyed them. However, they've all melded into one big military amalgam in my mind, so I can't even recall which titles they were. I think that in order to say that I really like a book, something about it has to leave a lasting impression. These didn't.

I vehemently dislike Clancy himself, btw. Pompous jerk. I have no idea why he gets brought on news shows to give his opinion on military strategy. Sure, he's done a lot of research for his books, but he's still an author. There's no dearth of legitimate retired military folk out there. I'd rather hear from them.

On-topic: I'm reading The Fourth Perimeter, by Tim Green. I just started, but it's pretty good so far.

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    I started reading The Crucible, yet again for H English today.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

On Hiatus
    Okay, I LOVE this thread. I have to weigh in with my own reads:
    -Religion and Sexuality: A study of Shakers, The Oneidas, and Early Mormonism
    -Same Sex Dynamics in Early Mormonism
    -2nd Chance; James Patterson and some other guy
    -The Jester; see above
    -Freeze My Margarita by...someone
    -Sometimes I Dream In Italian; Rita Ciresi

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with a pile of half read books on the nightstand, threatening to tip it over.

And a question: The Da Vinci Code. For those of you who read it, would you recommend it? Can you give me very quick review?

Oh, and the religion books I'm reading are all books that have piqued my interest since I read Beyond The Banner Of Heaven by Jon Krakauer, which I would HIGHLY recommend. Unless you're Mormon. Then skip it.
    "Ashleigh": I just think it's sleazy. It's dirty.
    Matt: Welcome to television!
    -The Joe Schmo Show

Here is Amazon.com's description of the Da Vinci Code. I've made it "spoiler", so you have to highlight it to find out what it says.

Click to see Spoiler:
    A murder in the silent after-hour halls of the Louvre museum reveals a sinister plot to uncover a secret that has been protected by a clandestine society since the days of Christ. The victim is a high-ranking agent of this ancient society who, in the moments before his death, manages to leave gruesome clues at the scene that only his granddaughter, noted cryptographer Sophie Neveu, and Robert Langdon, a famed symbologist, can untangle. The duo become both suspects and detectives searching for not only Neveu's father's murderer but also the stunning secret of the ages he was charged to protect. Mere steps ahead of the authorities and the deadly competition, the mystery leads Neveu and Langdon on a breathless flight through France, England, and history itself.

Ok, John. That book sounds cool, but sadly I'm just way more fascinated about how you did that spoiler thing. I'm such a dork.
    Who shot who in the what now?

You type [spoiler]enter your spoiler info here, and then end it with [/ spoiler] (without the space).

thanks John for humoring my curiosity.
    Who shot who in the what now?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    My advice? Pull the ripcord and forget about that series. I didn't like it at all. I made it through The Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring, then bailed about 30 pages into The Two Towers.
    Do my eyes deceive me? Another person in the world who also went "eh" at the LOTR trilogy????

Personally, I think there's a lot missing in the books. The plots meander, they aren't tight...the character names are unnecessarily similar, and I could go on and on.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Don't forget all the plot devices that rumble through the books incessantly, bailing the "heroes" out of all sorts of trouble they had absolutely no plans to overcome on their own. :rolleyes And don't get me started on the songs. *shudder*

Now I HAVE enjoyed the movies.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    Don't forget all the plot devices that rumble through the books incessantly, bailing the "heroes" out of all sorts of trouble they had absolutely no plans to overcome on their own. :rolleyes And don't get me started on the songs. *shudder*

Now I HAVE enjoyed the movies.
    Ditto on the movies.

And yes, yes, yes, about having no plans to overcome their trouble on their own. :rolleyes And too many coincidences...

Just from a purely technical standpoint, the writing is "eh". Besides, I don't think he had plans to be a literary great. I've read that he said he simply wrote them so that he could have fun playing with all his made-up languages.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

+ Reply to Thread