+ Reply to Thread
Page 89 of 710 FirstFirst ... 39798081828384858687888990919293949596979899139189589 ... LastLast
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I don't get a lot of time to read books but I listen to audio books at work daily and I am currently listening to all of Lisa Gardner's mystery suspense novels because they are fantastic! I would highly recommend them to anyone who likes a rivoting, hard-to-put-down suspense novel.

The Big Bad Wolf Tells All - Donna Kauffmann
    so far so good..

Played strictly for laughs, Donna Kaufman's Big Bad Wolf Tells All is a romping sexy tale of advice (both giving and ignoring it) and consent of the heart. Tanzy Harrington tells all in her online singles column. And she's got plenty to tell—not least the angst of being The Last Bridesmaid in a group of now-married friends who feel obliged to draw her into their ranks. When her Aunt Millicent orchestrates an up-close-and-personal encounter with Riley Parrish, she rebuffs any niggling inner attraction to the all-too-obviously Clark Kent in ill-fitting clothing. And yet. It's the "and yet" that makes for the delicious two-step Tanzy and Riley dance around each other while he tries to protect her from a predatory online stalker-fan, and she tries to remember why the swingin' single life is her modus operandi. This is one sheepish tale that stands out from the flock of chick-lit patter with a unique zest and fire all its own. - Sandy Huseby

"Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

A BEAUTIFUL MIND

Sylvia Nasar's biography of Mathematical Genius and Nobel Laureate John Nash

I haven't gotten to his exit stage left from reality yet, but even when "normal", he was one strange puppy.

I have Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde in my hot little hands. I just unpacked it from the box my book club sent it in. I can't wait to get started on it. Once again, kudos to Lucy for recommending the most fabulous author I've never heard of!

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    Finished Tom Perrotta's Little Children in just under 48 hours...I couldn't put it down (plus I was too sick to haul my ass off the couch to do anything else ) Very compelling read, and yes, I confess to being able to relate to his characters...I would say this book is to the new breed of thirty-something suburbanites as what Douglas Copeland's Generation X was to...Gen Xers, I guess.
    Ajane, glad to see you enjoyed a book I recommended
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Will don't have any fun. madbanana's Avatar
    From the mind of big bird...And the dark genious of oscar the grouch

haha its about the making of seseme street...great book

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    I have Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde in my hot little hands. I just unpacked it from the box my book club sent it in. I can't wait to get started on it. Once again, kudos to Lucy for recommending the most fabulous author I've never heard of!
    Dinah, I'm just about finished Something Rotten. I'm not as entranced with it as the first two, but hell, I HAVE to find out what happens. I think Lost was my favourite out of the three.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey
    If you can believe it, I just dusted off my old copy of Tom Sawyer, and have started reading it again... all for that show () "Lost". (I think the book may have some relation to the character of Sawyer) Next, I'm reading Melville's "The Confidence Man for the same reason...

Ovid's Metamorphoses and Lolita

While at the library, I also picked up Louise Glück's first four books of poems. I think they are quite good, obviously reminiscent of Sylvia Plath (who I understand is not everyone's cup of tea ), but I've never even heard her name mentioned aloud. Is anyone here familiar with this poet? Or is she famous, and have I been ignorant all this time?

A quote...
    "What are you waiting for
    come home, come home, lost
    in the waters, blue and permanent."

(The Drowned Children)
    Last edited by Salome; 10-24-2004 at 11:14 PM.

Nice reading choices, Salome.

I haven't read Metamorphoses, but I love Ovid's love poetry (what can I say, I'm a romantic underneath it all). Nabakov is possibly my favorite writer, and Lolita is among his finest.

What am I reading right now? Bust magazine. (ETA: Before anyone gets any funny ideas, it's the cool women's zine, not to be confused with other periodicals like Bust-y magazine )
    Last edited by SnowflakeGirl; 10-25-2004 at 02:08 AM.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

+ Reply to Thread