+ Reply to Thread
Page 86 of 709 FirstFirst ... 36767778798081828384858687888990919293949596136186586 ... LastLast
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I just went back through old entries. (Bored much? ) Sorry for bringing up the old, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Feifer
    I am on a Vampire kick. This happens every few years. Rightnow I am reading Bood Sucking Fiendsby Christopher Moore. Following that I will read Dead Until Dark, Living Dead in Dallas and Club Dead; all by Charlaine Harris. I know it is cheesy, but I sure do need some cheesy entertainment right now.
    I read the Charlaine Harris books this summer! They were so much fun; I especially enjoyed all the cheesy vampire sex. And I appreciated the fact that her style was casual without being unbearably dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    I just finished "The Rule of Four." It's rather DaVinci Code-like, but with better writing. I liked it.
    And I just picked up a new novel called "Codex" by Lev Grossman -- he writes for Time -- that appears to also be in that "ancient text/mysterious code" vein. I guess I just like that genre, but I didn't really realize it was *becoming* a genre.
    Maybe not a genre, but a topic. I'll have to check those out.

I just bought "America: The Book" by Jon Stewart (with foreword by Thomas Jefferson)

Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I just bought "America: The Book" by Jon Stewart (with foreword by Thomas Jefferson)

Can't wait.
    Dude, I'm halfway through it, and it's taking me so long because I have to stop and put the book down every other page. It's hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    Dude, I'm halfway through it, and it's taking me so long because I have to stop and put the book down every other page. It's hilarious.
    I've read little excerpts while I was standing at Border's. You guys have convinced me to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Salome
    I just finished Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser, and I highly recommend it. I was not expecting the book to go so far beyond the point that "fast food sucks," but it really gets to all food and the implications of what we eat. I was never a junk food junkie, but I don't know what I can eat now without feeling like I'm supporting an evil institution (not as if that's going to stop me ). So maybe if someone wants to go on a diet...?

(Really just kidding, I don't believe in dieting.)
    I was a junk food junkie, but reading that book over three years ago really opened my eyes and instantly made me swear off big corporate fast food forever (I never went to a McDonalds ever again)--and surprisingly, not so much for health reasons, but more so because of the horrible labor practices of these big chains disgust me.

I still enjoy burgers and fries, but I would rather get these at a local family or private-owned establishment that I know makes the food out of fresh ingredients (i.e. not patties made from parts of 1000 different cows with flavors from chemicals from a Jersey factory) and does not exploit its workers (In 'n' Out is a family-owned chain in SoCal and some other states that actually pays its workers well and gives them medical benefits, etc).

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm not into dieting either, Salome, nor am I a health nut by any stretch of the imagination; you're talking to the girl who had nachos for breakfast this morning.

Excellent book though, I also recommend it highly. Plus, it's very funny and entertaining, not dry and boring. A good companion piece is Supersize Me--especially if you watch it on DVD, there is a fantastic and extensive interview with Schlosser in the extras.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Finished Tom Perrotta's Little Children in just under 48 hours...I couldn't put it down (plus I was too sick to haul my ass off the couch to do anything else ) Very compelling read, and yes, I confess to being able to relate to his characters...I would say this book is to the new breed of thirty-something suburbanites as what Douglas Copeland's Generation X was to...Gen Xers, I guess.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Currently reading "Bridget Jones Diary: The edge of a reason"

the sequel...so far so good..

Angel boy
    I just finished Trace by Patricia Cornwell. It was ok, but definitely not her best work. Still, I adore those characters.
    America- love it or leave it!

Quote Originally Posted by charlottej
    I just finished Trace by Patricia Cornwell. It was ok, but definitely not her best work. Still, I adore those characters.
    I've been toying with the idea of buying this, but the last few books by Patricia Cornwell have not held my interest like the earlier ones. I don't know why, but Dr. Scarpetta just doesn't seem as likable as she used to be.

Angel boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    I've been toying with the idea of buying this, but the last few books by Patricia Cornwell have not held my interest like the earlier ones. I don't know why, but Dr. Scarpetta just doesn't seem as likable as she used to be.
    I agree, but I HAD to buy it. I got it at BJ's for $14.69 or something like that. No way I was paying $30 for it.

I think it really started going downhill for me when they killed off Benton. I sat in the bathtub and cried for 2 hours after I finished that book. I think that's when she "jumped the shark."
    America- love it or leave it!

+ Reply to Thread