+ Reply to Thread
Page 84 of 715 FirstFirst ... 34747576777879808182838485868788899091929394134184584 ... LastLast
Like Tree258Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Asst to the Regional Mgr SueEllenMishke's Avatar
    I always refer to the book as The Secret Garden. I have some sort of mental block or something! When I first wanted to read it I had a hard time finding it in the bookstore because I couldn't remember the author's name, and I was looking for ... you guessed it, The Secret Garden.

I think I may have to make an effort to read the rest of The Little Friend this weekend. I hate leaving books unfinished.

I just finished reading Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsglover. It was a really good book, it was really sad at the end. I was flying home yesterday and reading the end on the plane, I had to keep putting it down because people were looking at me because tears were running down my face. I really like most of her books, Prodigal Summer is really good also.

I finished "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" by Mark Haddon the other day. A very quick read, and a really good book. I loved how Haddon seemed to be able to capture the voice of the autistic narrator. I definitely recommend it.
    Who shot who in the what now?

FORT Fan
    I just finished The Zero Game by Brad Meltzer, which was pretty good......I am about to read The Presence by Heather Graham.......
    I'm hoping that James Patterson comes out with another Alex Cross book soon!!!

FORT Fogey
    We're starting Lord of the Flies on Monday in English. Yesterday, we got to watch the latest episode of Survivor to prepare

FORT Fogey
    I just got "The Well-Educated Mind," I haven't started yet, but it sounds intriguing:

"The Well-Educated Mind introduces readers to principles of self-education that have been practiced for hundreds of years. Susan Wise Bauer, author of the best-selling The Well-Trained Mind, maps out a complete learning program, with annotated reading lists of the great works of fiction, autobiography and memoir, history, drama, and poetry, as well as entertaining “15-minute histories” for each area of study. She guides you step-by-step through novels such as Don Quixote, the first “Book of the ‘Person’”, Cervantes’ picaresque tale of fantasy and reality; Crime and Punishment, Dostoyevsky’s work of “psychological realism,” a brooding meditation on guilt and redemption; plays like Hamlet, and Long Day’s Journey Into Night; immortal poems such as the Illiad, Paradise Lost, and much more.

Engagingly written and fun to read, The Well-Educated Mind not only provides a thorough grounding in the classics you can do at your own pace, but also lays an invaluable foundation of learning techniques that will enrich your life."

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    I just checked out the reviews of some of her books, glennajo, and they sound good, kind of like Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta series, before she lost her touch.
    Oh, they are good, Texi! I read The Surgeon through Body Double. When I started on them, I didn't know that they are a series. Now I have to go back and read the original four. That would have been good to know!

I'm hoping that the first four are as good as the last. I highly recommend them.

hi all! I just finished "The Mark". The 8th book in the Left Behind series. 8 down 4 to go.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

I just finished Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie - she started out writing for Harlequin but graduated to full length novels. If you like a light easy read with snappy dialogue this is a good book for you, I'm off to the used book store tonight to find her earlier novels.
    I'm into Shopaholic ties the Knot right now and like you Dinah, I'm about ready to shake the life out of Becky Bloomwood.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by greenie
    I finished "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" by Mark Haddon the other day. A very quick read, and a really good book. I loved how Haddon seemed to be able to capture the voice of the autistic narrator. I definitely recommend it.
    I read this book also, it is really good. I read it in about 2 days, it really sucks you in and is written from the perspective of an autistic boy. Very interesting perspective.

+ Reply to Thread