+ Reply to Thread
Page 81 of 706 FirstFirst ... 31717273747576777879808182838485868788899091131181581 ... LastLast
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I'm working out a deal on Amazon where I can get the Jenna Jameson book for practically nothing
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Condom Nation: Blind Faith, Bad Science by Richard A. Panzer

I've actually started reading Anna Karenina. I've never seen any of the mini-series or movies about this book but it does sound like it could be good. Has anyone else read it or plan to read it?
    Darn Kangaroos!! I am le tired.

Oh, good luck with that, Rufus. I really could not get into Anna Karenina. But I tried to read it when I was 12 or 13. So if you like it, let me know. I might give it another go, although really I never got into the Russian authors at all.

I just finished "The Rule of Four." It's rather DaVinci Code-like, but with better writing. I liked it.
    And I just picked up a new novel called "Codex" by Lev Grossman -- he writes for Time -- that appears to also be in that "ancient text/mysterious code" vein. I guess I just like that genre, but I didn't really realize it was *becoming* a genre.
    Last edited by Lucy; 09-11-2004 at 12:26 AM.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I just finished "Bel Canto" by Ann Patchett. It was ok, but had a disappointing ending. Almost like she didn't know how to end it, so she just did it really quickly without much explanation. I wouldn't recommend it.

I'm not starting "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" by Mark Haddon.
    Synopsis:
    Christopher John Francis Boone knows all the countries of the world and their capitals and every prime number up to 7,057. He relates well to animals but has no understanding of human emotions. He cannot stand to be touched. Although gifted with a superbly logical brain, Christopher is autistic. Everyday interactions and admonishments have little meaning for him. Routine, order and predictability shelter him from the messy, wider world. Then, at fifteen, Christopher’s carefully constructed world falls apart when he finds his neighbor’s dog, Wellington, impaled on a garden fork, and he is initially blamed for the killing.
    Christopher decides that he will track down the real killer and turns to his favorite fictional character, the impeccably logical Sherlock Holmes, for inspiration. But the investigation leads him down some unexpected paths and ultimately brings him face to face with the dissolution of his parents’ marriage. As he tries to deal with the crisis within his own family, we are drawn into the workings of Christopher’s mind.
    And herein lies the key to the brilliance of Mark Haddon’s choice of narrator: The most wrenching of emotional moments are chronicled by a boy who cannot fathom emotion. The effect is dazzling, making for a novel that is deeply funny, poignant, and fascinating in its portrayal of a person whose curse and blessing is a mind that perceives the world literally.
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is one of the freshest debuts in years: a comedy, a heartbreaker, a mystery story, a novel of exceptional literary merit that is great fun to read.

Seems interesting. . .
    Who shot who in the what now?

Greenie, I read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. It was very touching. One of the things I enjoyed most about it was the perceptions of Christopher who, being autistic, saw things from a very different viewpoint. It was a very good book.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

I started The Well of Lost Plots. Absolutely hysterical, this may be my favourite Fforde yet. I'm hoping that all 4 books will someday be offered in a box set.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    I started The Well of Lost Plots. Absolutely hysterical, this may be my favourite Fforde yet. I'm hoping that all 4 books will someday be offered in a box set.
    That would be nice. I haven't been to buy the rest yet; my local library doesn't have them, and neither do any of the other libraries that have reciprocity with my library.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

FORT Fogey
    I'm switching back and forth between The Nanny Diaries(leisure) and The Kitchen God's Wife. (school) I am loving the nanny diaries, and the Kitchen God's Wife is good too.

A Friggin' Princess HueyDueyLuey961's Avatar
    I'm reading Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh
    In Production Now- Decision 2005: A FoRT Game

As a matter of fact, I was a member of the Council on BB:TC.

+ Reply to Thread