+ Reply to Thread
Page 80 of 712 FirstFirst ... 30707172737475767778798081828384858687888990130180580 ... LastLast
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Fade to black
    I've been reading the much-hyped, often-praised "A Prayer For Owen Meany" and can honestly say I'm disappointed. It has it's moments, but for the most part is long-winded and drawn out when it doesn't need to be. Too many religious connotations for my liking as well. I'm still going to try and finish it (I'm about halfway through), but I doubt my opinion changes much.

Hazy, you might be interested to know that Billy Corgan's book comes out on October 1st. It's entitled "Blinking with Fists" and will be a collection of his poetry. I'm definitely picking it up.

I just finished Angels and Demonsby Dan Brown. Meh. Just okay.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    Pinkie, I for one really enjoyed The Kitchen God's Wife. I prefer when Amy Tan sticks to formula. The tales of China during WWII are fascinating.
    You know, there was a time when Amy Tan's works were taught in high schools and colleges across America. Thankfully, not anymore.

(And that's all I'll say for that notorious purveyor of sentimental ethnic schtik.)

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    You know, there was a time when Amy Tan's works were taught in high schools and colleges across America. Thankfully, not anymore.
    C'mon, Nausicaa, the kids needed a change of pace from "A Seperate Peace". I liked reading about WWII from a different ethnic perspective, myself.

I'm about halfway through Jasper Fforde's Lost in a Good Book, the 2nd Thursday Next story. So far, as excellent as expected. I've got The Well of Lost Plots on hold, and put an advance hold on Something Rotten at my library. Actually, I'm loving this series so much, I'm almost nervous about reading the next two in case they're not as fabulous as the first ones.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I'm so glad you're enjoying the Thursday Next books, AJane! The second one was my favorite, but I don't think you'll be disappointed by the last two. The whole series is great.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I think Amy Tan's books are still given more attention than they deserve. Every freshman at my high school was forced to read The Joy Luck Club. I enjoyed the book at the time due to my ethnic background and current relationship with my mother (seemed like one version of the story of my life )... but I wouldn't call it good literature.

Then again, in high school we were forced to read a lot of crap.
    Most notably, Richard Wright's Black Boy.
    American schools put too large a focus on American literature.

I know this isn't a "Rip Books Apart" thread, but I just have to add that I read Under the Tuscan Sun this summer, and it is amazingly overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    C'mon, Nausicaa, the kids needed a change of pace from "A Seperate Peace". I liked reading about WWII from a different ethnic perspective, myself.
    Aw, AJane, you didn't like "A Seperate Peace"? Next thing you'll be telling me you hate "Catcher in the Rye"! (Actually, please don't. Salinger is my daddy. )

It's just that I'm Chinese, and a Sinophilic one at that, so much of the things she wrote about in her books seem like badly-done magical realism to me. And I hate the facile endings. Don't worry, I'm not trying to be Snooty McSnoot though. Something tells me if I professed my love of Rohinton Mistry to an Indian who loved Indian literature, I'd be getting a similar reception to my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    Don't worry, I'm not trying to be Snooty McSnoot though.
    Snooty McSnoot... I feel that way sometimes, when I'm describing a book to one of my non-reading friends. They never "get" it when I'm excited about a new author, or tell them about the new book I'm enjoying.

Snooty McSnoot
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Dinah, that's why you come to this forum to hang out with us.

Snooty...er, Nausicaa I actually wasn't THAT crazy about Catcher in the Rye.

I admit Amy Tan isn't the greatest writer around...similar to her bandmate and fellow popular fiction author Stephen King, she's a gifted storyteller rather than a good writer. I would imagine her books - Joy Luck and Kitchen God's Wife, that is - were used in schools for their historical perspective rather than their literary merit.

Of course, I'm the Brit lit dork who nearly wet herself in excitement when Thursday Next arrived at Norland Park. And I actually fantasize about the day when (I hope) I get to visit Britain and go to the stone steps at Lyme, which apparently still exist. *sighs in anticipation*
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread