+ Reply to Thread
Page 79 of 698 FirstFirst ... 29697071727374757677787980818283848586878889129179579 ... LastLast
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by aceiling

I'm just starting "Stormy Weather" by Carl Hiaasen - in honor of hurricane season.
    Love Hiaasen - makes me laugh out loud

Think Tourist Season was one of his best
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

FORT Fogey
    Starting The Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan for English this week. I hope it's good, or else I'll have to read 550 pages without enjoying it.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkieparrot
    Starting The Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan for English this week. I hope it's good, or else I'll have to read 550 pages without enjoying it.
    I thought it was pretty good, but I didn't enjoy it quite as much as The Joy Luck Club.

I am about halfway through American Gods (finally! ). Of course, now classes have started again, so who knows how long it will take me to finish it? I also picked up Coraline, I hope to read that next.

Oh, I also picked up a book by Elizabeth Berg called Joy School that I hope to squeeze in sometime. Has anyone ever read Open House? I loved that one. And, I really want to finally get around to reading Skipping Christmas, before I feel compelled to watch the movie and spoil it for myself. (Okay, I just thought of this--funny how I'd much rather read the book before I see a movie, rather than vice versa. Is anyone else like that?)
    Last edited by scarlett530; 08-29-2004 at 02:04 PM.

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    "Harvesting the Heart" by Jodi Picoult. Beautiful. Half-way through. I love her books and I got a really warm reply by the author when I emailed her the other day.

You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

I've been reading through my Garth Nix books again, since I own pretty much every book he's written (except for the Keys to the Kingdom series, though I've read those too). They're still as good as ever.
    Gustav Holst was right!

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    We have to read "The Witch of Blackbird Pond" for school soon, so I'm just reading through it so I know what it's about.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorGirl
    We have to read "The Witch of Blackbird Pond" for school soon, so I'm just reading through it so I know what it's about.
    It's been years since I read that--but I do remember liking it quite a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by Survivorgirl

I loved that book when I was younger. I, too, had to read it for school, and ended up reading it about 5 times because I enjoyed it so much. Have fun reading it!

Pinkie, I for one really enjoyed The Kitchen God's Wife. I prefer when Amy Tan sticks to formula. The tales of China during WWII are fascinating.

I'm engrossed in The Eyre Affair. for the book and to Lucy, Star and Dinah for recommending it. I love the writing, and Thursday, and the clever character names. Also I'm a when it comes to literature...I have my fingers crossed one of Thursday's future cases involves Jane Austen. I've already reserved the other 3 Next books at the library.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I've been reading a stack of books I ordered from the Literary Guild but sadly I've been disappointed with most of them. I was really excited about A Blade of Grass by Lewis De Soto. The setting is apartheid South Africa and is about an employer/employee relationship between a young white widow and her black maid. I tried but was unable to get into the book. I cheated and skipped to the back and thought "What a rip off ending". I hate it when writers TRY to write something deep and meaningful to make a political point. It just feels contrived to me.
    I love you, you love me, we're a happy family...

+ Reply to Thread