+ Reply to Thread
Page 776 of 776 FirstFirst ... 276676726766767768769770771772773774775776
Results 7,751 to 7,760 of 7760
Like Tree585Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Fogey

Re: What are you reading?

I have a break in my pile of books so I am re-reading ALL THE MISSING GIRLS by Megan Miranda. I was so anxious to see what happened that I read it too fast. Since the book features a reversal of time, I know I didn;t get all I should out of it. It was a great story so now that I know what happened, I hope to pick up some clues.

I am part way through LINCOLN IN THE BARDO by George Saunders. He has the reputation of being creative, but he tried just too hard in this book. I do not like it, but I am dragging myself through it.

I am reading "Palace of Treason" by Jason Matthews. Exciting, intriguing, nail biting, and beautifully written. If you love spy novels written by a someone who knows how to write an edge of your seat thriller in beautiful prose, this book is for you.

Blindness by Jose Saramago.
    “Our life is shaped by our mind, for we become what we think.” ― Gautama Buddha

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
    That book looks great Critical! Added it to my list...

Yesterday I started 'Paddy Wacked : The Untold Story of The Irish American Gangster'. It was hard to put down last night. I went on a Hell's Kitchen walking tour and the tour guide recommended it to me. So glad he did. I love NYC history and some of these true stories are hard to fathom.
    It was really good! One of the things I love about the Muse Monthly box is that it's introduced me to writers (aside from Margaret Atwood) I've never even heard of, many of whom write about the experiences of people who are so different from me.

Now I'm finally back to reading Lisa See's The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane. The first 30 pages were rough (due to events in the book, not because of the writing), but now I'm zooming though it!
    beerbelly likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Along the Infinite Sea by Beatriz Williams.

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

I'm doing some light reading - the "Wicked" series by Janet Evanovich. LOL funny.
    beerbelly and JavaJo like this.
    I'm Paula.

My daughter got me hooked on a podcast series, so I'm not reading as much these days. But when I do, I'm making my way through Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything".
    Count your blessings!

I have just finished the latest Tana French novel--and I do love all her stuff--The Trespasser. Set in Ireland, from the viewpoint of a detective on the murder squad, it twists and turns its way keeping you following it to see what happens next! https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...the-trespasser

I just passed the halfway mark with The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane and am loving it....maybe savoring is a better word. I'm a tea-holic, so I love all the "tea talk."

I am taking a little break from the Lisa See because I found a copy of Bryan Cranston's memoir, Life in Parts in a bag I brought home from the trade show last October. Completely forgot I had it! I'm plowing through that right now. Highly recommended for fans of BC, but also for anyone who likes autobiographies. He's a terrific writer with a great dry wit. Lots of good stories and he's so sweet and humble. It's making me even more of a fan.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

I rewatched "Angels & Demons" on TV the other night (any movie with Tom Hanks AND Ewan McGregor is worth seeing move than once). So I started to get a craving to re-read the book. Unfortunately, my local library only has one copy, and it was out - so I had to request a hold on it.

Lo and behold, I was at my daughter's house earlier today, and looked at her bookshelf . . and there it was!!! Many happy hours coming up for me over the next few days.
    I'm Paula.

+ Reply to Thread