+ Reply to Thread
Page 772 of 773 FirstFirst ... 272672722762763764765766767768769770771772773 LastLast
Results 7,711 to 7,720 of 7723
Like Tree561Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Fogey

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    I quit my old bookclub because it was too far of a drive and the books chosen all SUCKED. Every single "Killing XXXX" book!!!!!!!! What a freeing feeling, wish I had quit years earlier. It was a chore to go every month!!!!!!!

So, I just read a Man Called Ove by Frederik Bachman for my new bookclub. It was a fun, funny quick read about a cantankerous old man (58, actually not old at all IMO) who is forced into retirement after the death of his wife and finds joy/meaning in life with his new "family" of neighbors. I enjoyed it, read it all within 24 hours.
    Glad you found a new club that led you to a book as fabulous as that one. It was one I never would have read on my own, but my book club chose it, and I read it because I felt guilty that i'd missed too many of the book they chose. I loved, loved, loved that book! When I got to the end, I think I cried with happiness that someone wrote such a fantastic novel. I was on vacation with my parents, and made my poor mom listen to all kinds of passages I thought were fantastic observations about life. (I do that with her a lot - she readily admits she's not a reader and never will be, so I get to spoil books for her knowing she'll never read them!)
    PGM35 and Cornholio like this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

I agree, Acooker it was just wonderful. I laughed out loud and read passages to my husband, especially where he was talking about Audi drivers, we were losing it. The best books (and TV shows like This is Us) make you laugh and cry...

Ariel I had no idea it was also a movie! I'll definitely watch it.

Has anybody read Still Alice? It's a book I read in my book club and most of us really liked it. I was afraid to read it thinking I might have Alzheimers, what the book is about, but it's not like that at all. It's a wonderful book.

The Art of Racing In The Rain is another good book.

I still remember years ago when I read The Geisha. I loved that book and Public Television showed a documentary on that book and we got to see everything the book talked about. The alleyways and how a Geisha gets 'ready'.

Some books just stay with you I guess. Where The Heat Is and of course Plain Truth.

Sorry for the walk down memory lane but all of the above are great books if you are ever looking.
    Cornholio likes this.

FORT Fogey

I LOVED Still Alice, and it's also one of my favorite book memories. When the Borders near me was closing several years ago, I was there browsing books getting a stack of mark downs. I had a few books in my hand, and a complete stranger walked by, pointing to a copy of it and said "This is a great book. Based on the ones you're holding, I think you'd like it". I trusted her and added it to my stack. Loved it, and have read several others by the author. And I still hold a special place in my heart for that stranger who gave me great unsolicited advice.

Still Alice and Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime are two books that I think do an amazing job of putting you in the mind of someone with a neurological disorder. Reading each of them, I felt like i was given a better understanding of what it's like to live with Alzheimers and Aspergers.
    beerbelly and jeanne like this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

I loved Still Alice too. I think it should be recommended reading for anyone with a loved one with Alzheimer's. I found it strangely comforting. Lisa Genova's follow-up book, Love Anthony was terrific too. I haven't read her latest, Inside the O'Briens, but I do have it. Too many books, too little time and all that jazz.
    beerbelly and jeanne like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm almost finished with Carol Channing's memoir 'Just Lucky I Guess'. I'm a huge fan of hers and it's written just like she speaks. Not much gossip as she really loves everyone but it just makes you feel good.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

In the middle of Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five. I've always thought it was one of those "must read" books, but never got around to it! Like Critical said, too many books, not enough time..
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I loved Still Alice too. I think it should be recommended reading for anyone with a loved one with Alzheimer's. I found it strangely comforting. Lisa Genova's follow-up book, Love Anthony was terrific too. I haven't read her latest, Inside the O'Briens, but I do have it. Too many books, too little time and all that jazz.
    I read Inside the O'Briens and thought it was the weakest of her books. Where I think the others take you inside the mind of someone dealing with an affliction, O'Briens felt a little more Jodi Picoult in rattling off facts and statistics without as much feeling, if that makes any sense.

She also wrote Left Neglected which is about a woman left paralyzed on one side of her body after an accident. It was fantastic. I'd rank that as her second best behind Alice.
    Critical likes this.

I'm right there with you, way! I'm reading Gaiman's American Gods - another one I'm shocked I've never read. I think it was a daily kindle deal a while back, so I pounced.

I'm also reading A Jane Austen Education by William Deresiewicz. I picked it up to read a few pages and got hooked!
    In A Jane Austen Education, Austen scholar William Deresiewicz turns to the author's novels to reveal the remarkable life lessons hidden within. With humor and candor, Deresiewicz employs his own experiences to demonstrate the enduring power of Austen's teachings. Progressing from his days as an immature student to a happily married man, Deresiewicz's A Jane Austen Education is the story of one man's discovery of the world outside himself.

A self-styled intellectual rebel dedicated to writers such as James Joyce and Joseph Conrad, Deresiewicz never thought Austen's novels would have anything to offer him. But when he was assigned to read Emma as a graduate student at Columbia, something extraordinary happened. Austen's devotion to the everyday, and her belief in the value of ordinary lives, ignited something in Deresiewicz. He began viewing the world through Austen's eyes and treating those around him as generously as Austen treated her characters. Along the way, Deresiewicz was amazed to discover that the people in his life developed the depth and richness of literary characters-that his own life had suddenly acquired all the fascination of a novel. His real education had finally begun.

Weaving his own story-and Austen's-around the ones her novels tell, Deresiewicz shows how her books are both about education and themselves an education. Her heroines learn about friendship and feeling, staying young and being good, and, of course, love. As they grow up, they learn lessons that are imparted to Austen's reader, who learns and grows by their sides.

A Jane Austen Education is a testament to the transformative power of literature, a celebration of Austen's mastery, and a joy to read. Whether for a newcomer to Austen or a lifelong devotee, Deresiewicz brings fresh insights to the novelist and her beloved works. Ultimately, Austen's world becomes indelibly entwined with our own, showing the relevance of her message and the triumph of her vision.
    It's already making me want to reread the novels! As if I don't have enough on my "to be read" pile!
    waywyrd and beerbelly like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

A friend suggested I take a look at the Dollar Tree dollar books. I usually just walked on by. But with the suggestion I took a look and bought one for a buck and am enjoying it. It's light reading and just what I was wanting.

So if you have a local Dollar Tree take a look at the 'book section'!
    SpringMaiden27 and AcookerTV like this.

+ Reply to Thread