+ Reply to Thread
Page 77 of 707 FirstFirst ... 27676869707172737475767778798081828384858687127177577 ... LastLast
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Like you, I picked up another Gaiman after reading it. I'm maybe halfway through Stardust now. It's quite different -- very whimsical, like a children's story, but I'm enjoying it.
    It's also supposed to be a very sexy book. I've had it on my shelf for years. I bought it and Neverwhere long before I was given American Gods. Weird that I haven't tackled him before now.

Oh, and BTW, I was surprised at the conclusion of Gods, too.
    Last edited by Paulie; 08-12-2004 at 07:58 PM.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Sexy? Hmm, maybe. Now that you mention it, there has been one such scene so far. Ok, people, I take it back, it's NOT like a children's story.
    I, too, am surprised I never came across him before. Thanks, Forters, for recommending Neil Gaiman.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by yardgnome77
    Paulie this book is very humorous and very intelligent. It is basically about a big oaf of a man who is to smart for his own good and is also lazy to the core. One of my friends described him as the comic book store man from The Simpson's and that was pretty accurate. It basically chronicles his life, his mothers and some other people in New Orleans. All of their stories end up meshing in the end.
    Yardgnome, I'm putting this on my list of books to read. I can't keep up with all the great recommendations! I just joined another book club and Gaiman's Coraline is on the way.

I've read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. I'm always interested in books that have local flavor to them - a true crime story with the mystique of Savannah thrown in. It was on the bestseller list for three years I believe. Well, it was popular. The author was pretty intriguing, too. He wrote himself into the book but was unobtrusive... It was memorable.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

FORT Fan
    Northeast Mississippi, sitting by the lake...
    I have almost finished reading Treasure Island. The copy I have is one I found at the thrift store, and it has some of the color illustrations, so it has been helpful to imagine the scenes in the story. I had started it a few weeks ago, but I've had more time to read lately. I also checked out a video about the golden age of pirates and bucaneers, so the two have been an interesting combo.

I can't remember if I had read this story as a kid. I know I saw the Disney film years ago. If you like stories about sailing or pirates, you will enjoy this book at any age.
    Just take a breath and relax...everything's going to be just fine...

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Paulie, I really liked American Gods, and I agree, he's a good storyteller. It was an intruiging story line and a denoument that I, at least, didn't see coming.
    Like you, I picked up another Gaiman after reading it. I'm maybe halfway through Stardust now. It's quite different -- very whimsical, like a children's story, but I'm enjoying it.
    I loved Stardust. Neverwhere is more like American Gods, with an adult male narrator and in a contemporary setting. Apparently a Neverwhere movie was made...it's available on Amazon, but I think I want to read give the book another read before I watch the movie. Neverwhere and American Gods remind me quite a bit of Clive Barker's fantasy work (maybe because they're both British?), but minus the gore that you get with Barker.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

AJ, I just finished Stardust, and I really enjoyed it, too. And then I went out and got Neverwhere and Coraline.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Reading: Pyramids by: Terry Pratchett.

Writing: Pandora's Resurgence Trilogy (Part of my Warthian Chronicles Series), and The Encyclopedia of Warth: An Author's Guide to the World of Warth.

Getting reacquainted with Dickens (Oliver Twist, Pickwick Papers) and Hugo (Les Miserables). Soooo good. Forget about the moderns. Give me the good old stuff.

Also dipping a little into the Chem text for fall. *shudder* Utterly unpalatable.

FORT Fan
    Just got...The Curious Incident of the dog in the Nighttime by Haddon

I've got a stack going - I'm not reading them all at once, of course, but this is what I'm working my way through for the next few weeks:

The Shipping News (still, sadly)
    The Red Tent
    On The Road
    My Antonia
    The Pilot's Wife
    The Time Traveler's Wife
    The Last Girls

+ Reply to Thread