+ Reply to Thread
Page 76 of 712 FirstFirst ... 26666768697071727374757677787980818283848586126176576 ... LastLast
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by joeguy
    really got into the Clive Cussler books, the "Dirk Pitt" series is great.
    I like Clive Cussler, but I prefer the "Kurt Austin" series. I have the latest, "Lost City", on reserve at the library.

Right now I'm re-reading "Close to Shore", a non-fiction book about a rogue shark in 1916.

It is the same attacks that are documented in the book "12 days of terror", which has been made into a movie that will be on Animal Planet tomorrow night at 8,10, and midnight.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Belligerence And Debauchery: The Tucker Max Stories

Great book about a college student and his crazy stories, I would consider him to be my role model.
    Not a fan of reality tv shows, only Big Brother.

Quote Originally Posted by yardgnome77
    I just finished reading some good books. The book club I am in was reading A Confederacy of Dunces. This book is very funny and also very interesting. I also just read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, I am going to Savannah in a month and everyone said to read it before I go. I also just read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. This book is very interesting, it is written from the perspective of a young boy with Autism.
    All of these books that I read were very interesting, especially the last one!
    I've heard of all three books, but I'm particularly interested in the first one (A Confederacy of Dunces) because it's sitting on my shelf. I'd heard it was very humorous and insightful so I picked up a copy at a book sale a while back. The author (whose name has Kennedy in it somewhere - Patrick Kennedy O'Toole? something like that) committed suicide just after completing it, I understand, and never saw it win the Pulitzer Prize. I believe that's what happened, anyway. And if I'm wrong, you can still say it at dinner parties and most folks won't know any better.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear you elaborate on "interesting." What did you like about the book? Is it worth my time? I don't feel that ALL Pulitzer Prize-winning books are, in fact, worth my time. Just want to hear your opinion on this one.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

A lot of people have told me "Confederacy of Dunces" is a worthwhile read. I've never quite gotten around to it myself, but it's one of those I keep meaning to pick up.
    And Paulie, I, too, have heard the author committed suicide at some point.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Paulie this book is very humorous and very intelligent. It is basically about a big oaf of a man who is to smart for his own good and is also lazy to the core. One of my friends described him as the comic book store man from The Simpson's and that was pretty accurate. It basically chronicles his life, his mothers and some other people in New Orleans. All of their stories end up meshing in the end.
    The story of the author (John Kennedy Toole) is accurate. He wrote the book, committed suicide and his mom found the transcripts. She started bugging publishing houses and one publisher felt sorry for her and said he would read the story. He was planning to read the first couple of pages and then throwing it out. He read the whole book and thought it was one of the best books ever written.
    I would recommend this book, it is a fairly quick read, and different from a lot of novels that are out now!
    I guess they are also supposedly making this into a movie starring Will Farrell.

I tried reading 'Confederacy a few years ago, but couldn't get past the 1st chapter.

FORT Fogey
    I FINALLY was motivated to go to Barnes and Noble and pick myself up a copy of the Da Vinci Code. I think it's cool how I can actually understand it, though I wish I had the paintings right there with me while I read.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    Hey Feifer, I've read the Harris Vampire books but forgot all about it until you mentioned them. Someone gave me the first one and I bought the other two at Hastings. Then I loaned them to someone else and didn't get them back. I hate when that happens because I can never remember author's names... I have to go through my bookshelves to jog my memory. Did she write any more after those? They were pretty cheesy but a fun read.
    My friend Cody lent me these books. I have no idea how many others there are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    Okay, now I'm quoting myself. I just checked on Amazon and found Dead to the World came out on May. It's probably not out in paperback, and my library doesn't carry this series so I'll be waiting for awhile to read this one.
    I will have to see if I can find this one in paperback somewhere as a gift to Cody.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Quote Originally Posted by yardgnome77
    Paulie this book is very humorous and very intelligent. ...
    Thanks for the update on it, yg77. I'll give it a look whenever I finish reading Darwin's Radio (which is very good, BTW. I just can't find time to read very much recently).

Lucy, what were your thoughts on American Gods? I have Stardust and Neverwhere (two other Neil Gaiman books), and I'm definitely interested in reading them after having read Gods. I think he's a great storyteller.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Paulie, I really liked American Gods, and I agree, he's a good storyteller. It was an intruiging story line and a denoument that I, at least, didn't see coming.
    Like you, I picked up another Gaiman after reading it. I'm maybe halfway through Stardust now. It's quite different -- very whimsical, like a children's story, but I'm enjoying it.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread