+ Reply to Thread
Page 74 of 718 FirstFirst ... 24646566676869707172737475767778798081828384124174574 ... LastLast
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    Welsh Girl, you liked Digital Fortress? That was my least favorite. My favorite was Angels and Demons. I haven't read The DaVinci Code yet.

Has anyone read or heard anything about Bill Clinton's book? I'm thinking about picking it up.
    Jay... Angels and Demons was my favorite, too, even more so than The DaVinci Code.

I've been reading Bill Clinton's book and enjoy it. He writes like he speaks; very charismatic and conversational. I'm very surprised by how much he remembers and how much attention he pays to the *little things* about people. That's been one thing that I have always enjoyed about him. I havent gotten to the major political parts as of yet, but cannot wait. He's very knowledgeable.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I just finished The Young Wan by Brendan O'Carroll.
    It is a quick read and very enjoyable.If anyone has read it I would love to hear what you thought.I am now waiting to read The Mammy which is the next book.I can hardly wait.

Jay
    Broadway, thanks for the info. I am hesitant to pick up the hardcover because of the price ($30 CDN).

I'm just starting "The Working Poor: Invisible in America" which examines the struggles of Americans to pay bills and raise families on minimum wage jobs. I think it also delves into work conditions.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    Broadway, thanks for the info. I am hesitant to pick up the hardcover because of the price ($30 CDN).
    Check out your local library. Even if mine doesn't have the book I want, it is linked to hundreds of others throughout the state and it can be shipped to my library. I rarely buy books anymore, since I will only read them once.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    I'm just starting "The Working Poor: Invisible in America" which examines the struggles of Americans to pay bills and raise families on minimum wage jobs. I think it also delves into work conditions.
    Please post how it compares to the "Nickled and Dimed" book. I read it after reading about it here. It was very interesting even if some of her premises were false. I appreciate the people working at Target, Walmart, etc. differently now.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

I sure will, veej

The author of this book is a Pulitzer Prize recipient, so I have high expectations. Here's a blurb that explains the book better than I did:
    From the author of the Pulitzer Prize–winning Arab and Jew, a new book that presents a searing, intimate portrait of working American families struggling against insurmountable odds to escape poverty.

As David K. Shipler makes clear in this powerful, humane study, the invisible poor are engaged in the activity most respected in American ideology—hard, honest work. But their version of the American Dream is a nightmare: low-paying, dead-end jobs; the profound failure of government to improve upon decaying housing, health care, and education; the failure of families to break the patterns of child abuse and substance abuse. Shipler exposes the interlocking problems by taking us into the sorrowful, infuriating, courageous lives of the poor—white and black, Asian and Latino, citizens and immigrants. We encounter them every day, for they do jobs essential to the American economy.

We meet drifting farmworkers in North Carolina, exploited garment workers in New Hampshire, illegal immigrants trapped in the steaming kitchens of Los Angeles restaurants, addicts who struggle into productive work from the cruel streets of the nation’s capital—each life another aspect of a confounding, far-reaching urgent national crisis. And unlike most works on poverty, this one delves into the calculations of some employers as well—their razor-thin profits, their anxieties about competition from abroad, their frustrations in finding qualified workers.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

I'd have to say the least favorite book I have ever read was actually a high school assignment. "A Raisin In The Sun". I hated that book! And how unlucky am I? It was our reading assignment my freshman year in high school, then again my sophomore year. Then, because I didn't do so well sophomore year, I had to take summer school and guess what? Yep. We had to read: "A Raisin In The Sun". Man! If I never read that book again, it'll be too soon.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

I am on a Vampire kick. This happens every few years. Rightnow I am reading Bood Sucking Fiendsby Christopher Moore. Following that I will read Dead Until Dark, Living Dead in Dallas and Club Dead; all by Charlaine Harris. I know it is cheesy, but I sure do need some cheesy entertainment right now.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl
    I'd have to say the least favorite book I have ever read was actually a high school assignment. "A Raisin In The Sun". I hated that book! And how unlucky am I? It was our reading assignment my freshman year in high school, then again my sophomore year. Then, because I didn't do so well sophomore year, I had to take summer school and guess what? Yep. We had to read: "A Raisin In The Sun". Man! If I never read that book again, it'll be too soon.

I had to read Raisin in the sun for my freshman year too, the second semester i had to read, George Orwell's Animal Farm.

+ Reply to Thread