+ Reply to Thread
Page 713 of 714 FirstFirst ... 213613663703704705706707708709710711712713714 LastLast
Results 7,121 to 7,130 of 7133
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Now I'm reading Rene Denfeld's The Enchanted, which is one of the more unusual books I've ever read.
    Rene Denfeld? I think I've met her. Is she from Oregon?
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    Rene Denfeld? I think I've met her. Is she from Oregon?
    I think that's her
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Our "Unified Arts" team (art, music, gym, shop, etc.) seems to get our schedule changed every year because we are used to fill in the gaps where the "real" classes are on break. This year they took away Common Planning time, which cut our team in half and really threw the schedule out of whack. One result is that we monitor a different grade level every day during their morning "skills" class so they can still have Common Planning time once a week. We are only supposed to monitor the class while they perform whatever task their teacher has assigned, but so far (and it's early yet) that has meant silent reading or work sheets. I'm getting the impression that I could easily bring my Kindle and get an hour of reading in every morning. BooYah!
    Count your blessings!

FORT Newbie

happiness advantage by shawn achor

Critical! I'm LOVING The Enchanted. Not nearly as much "magical thinking" as the title and description would have you believe, but that doesn't matter because the characters are so endearing. The setting is so unusual. The different stories within the plot seem to run parallel to each other. I'll probably finish it today.
    Count your blessings!

Double posting because OMG!!! I gasped at the ending. If I ever see you in person, Critical, I'm giving you a BIG HUG. You have recommended the BEST books!!!
    Count your blessings!

I have just finished Lost by Michael Robotham--very exciting and edge of the seat. I loved the characters so much I have been looking for all the books in this series! https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/477390.Lost

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Double posting because OMG!!! I gasped at the ending. If I ever see you in person, Critical, I'm giving you a BIG HUG. You have recommended the BEST books!!!
    I'm glad you liked it! I wasn't sure since I was still reading it when I recommended it. I think we just have really similar taste in books. I agree - the ending was beautiful.

I'd hug you right back!

I have less time to read right now, but I'm making my way through Urquhart's The Visionist. It reminds me of Hannah Kent's Burial Rites (which I read last fall) in tone and also because the main characters are female murderers (no spoilers there - that's from the back cover blurbs). Both are beautifully written, but stark in feel.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I loved Burial Rites. I'll have to put The Visionist on my list. I have a backlog right now, but am about to start a week of school where I'm just "covering" an hour-long class each morning where I'm not supposed to do any actual teaching, so I'm bringing my Kindle. We'll see how that goes. It could be a year-long thing because of our new schedule.
    I've got Land of Love and Drowning up next, then The Bloodletter's Daughter. Then I'm re-reading Margaret Atwood's books (Oryx and Crake, Year of the Flood) because my daughter said there's a 3rd book to the series I didn't know about... MaddAddam.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 09-08-2014 at 05:26 AM.
    Count your blessings!

Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl - The Lost Colony

Happy book, delightful series.

+ Reply to Thread