+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Ooh - I loved The Crimson Petal and the White, too. Let us know how this new one is.
    Count your blessings!

Will do! If, that is, I get to it before you read it! At the rate I'm going and considering how big the piles have gotten, I'm WAY behind! It's like the books are multiplying.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Regular

I tend to stick to light beach reads, but my son read Wonder for his school summer reading so I decided to join in and read it too. I loved that book. So heartwarming and what a wonderful message. Now, he wants me to read Maze Runner so we can have a date night when the movie comes out!

I'm reading Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout. My daughter gets recommendations from other pilots and this was one (she's on my Kindle account). I think it's like a series of short stories all related to this one woman as viewed by other people in her town.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I'm reading Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan. My sister was reading it for a book club. It has some technical computer concepts that are way out of my league, but it's fantasy (well nothing out of the realm of possibility so far). The reviews on Amazon range from love it to hate it. It has won some awards. Has anyone else read this?
    I started to - it was my book club pick for last week but I didn't make it to it due to a death in the family. I didn't finish the book either.

I've been making an effort to plow through some of these piles of books all over the house. Even picking one to read is overwhelming! I just sit on the floor and stare at the piles until one jumps out. I am making a little (very little) headway.

I finished The Supreme Macaroni Company a few days ago. I hate it when the back cover copy calls something a heartbreaking story, so you then spend the entire book waiting for something bad to happen. It was a quick read and not bad, but the anticipation of the "heartbreaking" stuff pulled me out of the story a bit. I didn't love it, but I liked it.

Yesterday I read The Wind is Not a River by Brian Payton. MUCH more satisfying and also a quick read. It's the story of a journalist who, while trying to cover the Japanese invasion in the Aleutian Islands, finds himself stranded and struggling for survival when his plane is shot down. At the same time, his wife in Seattle is trying to get to Alaska to find him, even though the reports say that there's no hope.

Now I'm reading Rene Denfeld's The Enchanted, which is one of the more unusual books I've ever read.
    A wondrous and redemptive debut novel, set in a stark world where evil and magic coincide, The Enchanted combines the empathy and lyricism of Alice Sebold with the dark, imaginative power of Stephen King.

"This is an enchanted place. Others don’t see it, but I do." The enchanted place is an ancient stone prison, viewed through the eyes of a death row inmate who finds escape in his books and in re-imagining life around him, weaving a fantastical story of the people he observes and the world he inhabits. Fearful and reclusive, he senses what others cannot. Though bars confine him every minute of every day, he marries visions of golden horses running beneath the prison, heat flowing like molten metal from their backs with the devastating violence of prison life.

Two outsiders venture here: a fallen priest and the Lady, an investigator who searches for buried information from prisoners’ pasts that can save those soon-to-be-executed. Digging into the background of a killer named York, she uncovers wrenching truths that challenge familiar notions of victim and criminal, innocence and guilt, honesty and corruption—ultimately revealing shocking secrets of her own.

Beautiful and transcendent, The Enchanted reminds us of how our humanity connects us all, and how beauty and love exist even amidst the most nightmarish reality.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Ooh - I like the sounds of that. Is it available for us mere mortals yet?
    Found it! Downloading now.
    Count your blessings!

It really is an unusual one, Gut, but not in a bad way. A bit depressing because of the location, but really compelling. It's pretty short too at 230-ish pages. I'll likely finish it later tonight. Then I'm on to the next one!

I finished The Enchanted a few hours ago. I actually found it quite moving, in the end.

Now I've moved onto The Weight of the Human Heart, a collection of short stories by Ryan O'Neill. I'm not usually that big on short stories, but these are very good and quite moving. I think it's a special gift to get a reader to feel like they know characters and to care about them in a limited number of pages.
    Ranging from Australia and Africa to Europe and Asia and back again, The Weight of a Human Heart heralds a fresh and important new voice in fiction. Ryan O'Neill takes us on a journey that is sometimes comic, sometimes tragic, and wholly original.

A young Tutsi girl flees her village on the brink of the Rwandan genocide. A literary duel—and an affair—play out in the book review section of a national newspaper. A young girl learns her mother’s disturbing secrets through the broken key on a typewriter.

With imagination, wit, and a keen eye, Ryan O'Neill draws the essence of the human experience with a cast of characters who stick with you long after you turn the last page of this brilliant short story collection.

I finished The Weight of the Human Heart last night. Some of the stories were wonderful, but some felt more like creative writing exercises. It was sort of a mixed bag with the good outweighing the bad.

I just started Rachel Urquhart's The Visionist:
    After 15-year-old Polly Kimball sets fire to the family farm, killing her abusive father, she and her young brother find shelter in a Massachusetts Shaker community called the City of Hope. It is the Era of Manifestations, when young girls in Shaker enclaves all across the Northeast are experiencing extraordinary mystical visions, earning them the honorific of "Visionist" and bringing renown to their settlements.

The City of Hope has not yet been blessed with a Visionist, but that changes when Polly arrives and is unexpectedly exalted. As she struggles to keep her dark secrets concealed in the face of increasing scrutiny, Polly finds herself in a life-changing friendship with a young Shaker sister named Charity, a girl who will stake everything--even her faith--on Polly's honesty and purity.
    I'm also reading Balzac's The Unknown Masterpiece for my book club. I've got to finish it by Thursday. Luckily, it's a short one.

+ Reply to Thread