+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree266Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I'm about 200 pages from finishing Amy Tan's The Valley of Amazement. I honestly can't say that I love it. It's a bit depressing. I remember this book I had as a kid called Fortunately. All of this unfortunate things happen to a young boy, but then fortunately something else happens to help him. This Tan book is the opposite. Everything looks like a "fortunately," but then it turns into an "unfortunately." I'm hoping it turns around. I love her writing style and I want to find out what happens, but I'm not holding out hope for an even remotely happy ending.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thanks for Barnes and Noble's "Free Book Friday", I got a double-feature with mysteries based in Florida. One of them is about Seychelle Sullivan, a tug boat operator / novice investigator. So like I usually do, I went looking to see what other books the author had written, and BN was offering the four Seychelle books for $7.99. So now I'm about halfway through book 2 :-)

They're pretty good. (I really need fun books to read right now...I want to be entertained, not have to think overly much.)

I just finished We Are Water. THANK YOU for the recommendation! Loved it. Sad for it to end.
    Critical and DesertRose like this.
    Count your blessings!

I'm glad you liked it! I just finished The Valley of Amazement this morning. I can't say I LOVED it, but it was very moving.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Steven Hunter's Pale Horse Coming

A superior thriller.
    A period piece, a novel about one hard, hard man, and much more.

Sometimes thrillers evolve into literature, this is such an event.

I just finished "Swimming With Crocodiles," an true-life adventure book about the Australian outback. Very well written and so thoroughly descriptive that near the end I kind of wanted the author to stop describing stuff.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Just finished Derek Hough's Taking the Lead: Lessons From a Life in Motion, and am really beginning to settle in on "Life in Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina" by Misty Copeland.

Don't know WHAT'S up, but it kinda seems like I'm zeroing in on dancers and moving and such, for some reason.

Oh, well.

Derek's book was great, and Misty's looks like (so far, at least!) it'll be the same!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I'm reading Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan. My sister was reading it for a book club. It has some technical computer concepts that are way out of my league, but it's fantasy (well nothing out of the realm of possibility so far). The reviews on Amazon range from love it to hate it. It has won some awards. Has anyone else read this?
    Count your blessings!

Turns out the computer concepts just outside of my periphery weren't all that overwhelming and really added to the story. I enjoyed it. Quick read, good message.
    Count your blessings!

I haven't read that one, but I'd heard good things, Gut. The rep I know from (I think) WW Norton picked as one of his titles of the year.

After all the emotion of Amy Tan, I picked something a little (I hope!) lighter and am reading Adriana Trigiani's The Supreme Macaroni Company. Apparently, it's the third in a series, but I haven't read the previous two books. So far, it doesn't seem to be a problem.
    In The Shoemaker's Wife Adriana Trigiani swept her readers across generations of an Italian family, from the Italian Alps at the turn of the twentieth century to the cobblestone streets of Little Italy. In The Supreme Macaroni Company, she weaves a heartbreaking story that begins on the eve of a wedding in New York's Greenwich Village, travels to New Orleans, and culminates in Tuscany. Family, work, romance, and the unexpected twists of life and fate all come together in an unforgettable narrative that Adriana Trigiani's many fans will adore.
    I just got a galley of Michel Faber's new book, The Book of Strange New Things. I loved The Crimson Petal and the White, so I'm looking forward to reading this one.
    Last edited by Critical; 08-26-2014 at 08:29 PM.

+ Reply to Thread