+ Reply to Thread
Page 710 of 714 FirstFirst ... 210610660700701702703704705706707708709710711712713714 LastLast
Results 7,091 to 7,100 of 7133
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Fogey

Re: What are you reading?

I may just have to put The Secret History on my list to read at some point. As I've said in this thread, I felt like I had to work at reading The Goldfinch, but I also felt smarter for having read it. I need breaks from books like that after I've read one, but really enjoy that feeling of not just passing time productively, but really gaining something from a book. What is the subject matter of The Secret History?

OK, Critical, I'm downloading We Are Water as we speak.
    Count your blessings!

You're so trusting! Seriously though, I LOVE this book. I hope you do too. I should have gone to bed hours ago, but I'm still awake and reading. I keep telling myself I'll just read one more chapter.....and then another and another. I'm going to try to finish one more chapter and then go to bed.

I will say that it's not a super fast read (although not Donna Tartt slow, by any means), but I'll finish it quickly because I'm doing little else but read. A lot of times, I'm checking the page count as I go. I've barely even looked at the page numbers. The story is just pulling me along.
    DesertRose likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I may just have to put The Secret History on my list to read at some point. As I've said in this thread, I felt like I had to work at reading The Goldfinch, but I also felt smarter for having read it. I need breaks from books like that after I've read one, but really enjoy that feeling of not just passing time productively, but really gaining something from a book. What is the subject matter of The Secret History?
    It's set at a college and involves a murder. Not a whodunit, as it's said from the first, but how the situation came about. I didn't care for it. I didn't like any of the characters, which is always a problem, and I didn't feel the writing redeemed that. But a lot of people did like it, so what do I know?
    I've been on a JK Rowling kick - just reread all of Harry Potter and then read her two detective novels (as Roger Galbraith), which were quite good. I'm not sure about tackling The Casual Vacancy though - has anyone read it? It didn't appeal when it first came out so I never bought it but I'm having second thoughts.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I finished We Are Water a few days ago. I couldn't put it down. It was a really wonderful, absorbing, HUMAN story. Now begins my wait for next Wally Lamb novel.

Now I'm reading Amy Tan's latest, The Valley of Amazement. It's been so long since I've read anything of hers. I'm really enjoying it. Unfortunately, I'm going away for the weekend and, because we have to pack light and this book is HUGE, I'm going to have to leave it home. My Kindle will fit in my bag much easier! I'll be happy to pick it back up when I come home. Whenever I read Amy Tan, I'm reminded of how much I just enjoy her books. They just feel comfortable to me.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Critical, I too loved We are water and you are absolutely right it's a human story.

Last night I finished the Goldfinch. It just was not satisying to me. I'm not a easy reading book type of person but the reading of this book was so tedious that it took away from the story

I'll try Amy Tan's book as I really enjoyed The Joy Luck Club.
    Gutmutter likes this.

I Didn't Come Here to Make Friends Courtney Robertson. Yep, I'm reading this bit of trash. I got it from the library because I was curious. Well, it does give some behind the scenes Bachelor stuff and gives a pretty detailed account of their "engagement" but it also goes into way more sexual details than seemed necessary to me. The first 70 or so pages give very explicit accounts of her youthful sexual encounters. I'm almost finished the book (it's a quick read) and so far, I like Courtney slightly more than I did a few days ago and I dislike Ben as much or more than before. If you are a Bachelor you will probably find most of this book somewhat entertaining.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Janet Evanovich's latest Stephanie Plum novel, Top Secret Twenty-one. I actually enjoyed this one. The last several books have been a bit boring and predictable and I felt I was going to drop the series but this one was short and sweet and we see a bit more of Ranger. The feral pack of chihuahuas was a nice touch. I do wish that Stephanie's mom would find a better way of handling all the drama that goes on in the Plum household.

The Kill Switch (Tucker Wayne #1) by James Rollins was interesting as it was about a mercenary team and the one partner was a wardog and sometimes the story was told from his point of view. Still the book felt overly long almost as if it was book 1 and book 2.

Shield of Winter by Nalini Singh, the next in her Psy/Changeling series. I liked that she is continuing her Psy/Changleling series and is finding a solution to heal the NetMind and save the Psy race but when you have this many books out about a series and so many characters you have to be very careful how you proceed in your world building and characters.

Enjoying Jude Deveraux's Edilean series. She has a beautiful touch with multiple characters and a overlying story arc. I always feel good after finishing one her books and wish I was a Montgomery or Taggert family member.

Carla Neggers Cider Brook ... I don't know why she bothered to write this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I just started Mr Mercedes by Stephen King. So far this one isnt so much horror as psychological thriller.
    Mr. Mercedes - Hardcover, eBook and Audiobook Now Available

I read Lisa Jewell's The House We Grew Up In over the weekend. I guess I've been on a roll with family stories. This family is definitely dysfunctional. The story is told in flashbacks and details the decline of the mother of the family into full-blown hoarder and how one tragic event can split apart a family. Big tragedy and LOTS of dysfunction (and it's not a family that puts the "fun" in it either). Sadly, the mother reminded me of a family member. It was sad, but never in a way that felt manipulative.

There are some people I wouldn't recommend this to because it might hit a little too close to the bone, but I found it fascinating.

+ Reply to Thread