+ Reply to Thread
Page 71 of 718 FirstFirst ... 21616263646566676869707172737475767778798081121171571 ... LastLast
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I guess I should feel really vapid that I'm currently working my way through a 40 issue stack of US Weeklys I found at a used bookstore. Especially since everyone's reading actual literature
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

I'm actually reading a knitting book called Stitch 'n Bitch. I'm knitting a cute bunny bag from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    I guess I should feel really vapid that I'm currently working my way through a 40 issue stack of US Weeklys I found at a used bookstore. Especially since everyone's reading actual literature
    I have a subscription to The National Enquirer. It comes every Tuesday afternoon and I read it cover to cover.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

I used to buy the N'tl Enquirer, The Star, and the Globe, but I had to cut back on my spending; good thing the local library carries them
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Um, Tex, if the library carries those papers/magazines, isn't that counter-productive?

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    American Gods, Scarlett if for no other reason that you'll be able to talk about it with all of us They're all good.

Just to clarify, Coraline has some very frightening imagery, it's for older children, not little ones. I would recommend it for the tween set, for a break from Harry Potter and the Olsen twins. A mature pre-teen reader would likely appreciate the unusual story and quality writing.
    I think I'm going to check out "Coraline" and "American Gods". Thanks for the recommendation!

Personally, I don't think you could go wrong with any Gaiman book, Scarlett.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepysluggo
    I'm actually reading a knitting book called Stitch 'n Bitch. I'm knitting a cute bunny bag from it.
    OMG, Sleepy, I bought that book because I want to learn to knit and they have cool projects in it. Like not stuff your grandma would make (not that there's anything wrong with Grammy's sweaters ). I want to make the monkey bag. Only thing is, I have zero experience in knitting, so I think I might need another resource to get the basics down.

I'm finishing a book I forgot I started a while ago, Don DeLillo's White Noise--that doesn't mean it's a bad book, in fact it's excellent, a brilliant, sort of Vonegutty (I just made up a new word ) look at the cult of popular culture and modern society. But since I juggle several books at a time (and keep them in different places so I have something to read in the car, or at the beach, etc.) it just got misplaced. Anyway, I read it because Chuck Palahniuk cites him as one of his influences. It's fantastic, DeLillo's descriptions are wry and dispassionate but with such on-target observations on contemporary life. Poetic without sentimentality--like a post-modern John Donne stuck in a shopping mall.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I have a subscription to The National Enquirer. It comes every Tuesday afternoon and I read it cover to cover.
    I have Star and am obsessed so don't feel bad.

Jay
    I'm tackling Tom Clancy's latest paperback "The Teeth Of The Tiger".

Well, because of the "Oprah Winfrey Book Club" I'm actually reading Anna Karinina. I'm half-way through part 6 and i'ts actually pretty good. I usually don't read classic novels like this but I'm actually enjoying it.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

+ Reply to Thread