+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I finished The Book of Life (loved the trilogy) and am now listening to Why Can't I Be You by Allie Larkin. She also wrote stay which I loved.

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

The Book of LIfe is next on my list. I'm currently re-reading the pervious 2 books, then will start this one. I hope it's good and ties up all of the loose ends.
    GabbyG likes this.

Finished Rain Girl, a murder mystery by Gabi Kreslehner...not bad, but not spectacular. I don't know why it was on the Kindle top ten for so long.

And I started The Last Town by Blake Crouch today. It's the last of his Wayward Pines trilogy and I'm loving it after only a few chapters. I hope the upcoming TV series does it justice!
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

I just finished Michael Kammen's Visual Shock, a survey of controversies in American Art, for my book club. Very dense, but so good! It probably took me longer to read than it should have because I kept googling images on my phone. There are a fair amount of images in the book, but I wanted more. I'm now reading a collection of documents from the 1913 Armory show, which is mentioned in the Kammen book. It's got everything from critics reviews to writings from various artists. I just finished an excerpt from Gauguin's Tahitian journal.

I'm also reading T. Greenwood's Bodies of Water. I love her writing and this one is no exception. It's not exactly what I expected, but it's very good.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mr Penumbras 24 Hour Bookstore

The Great Recession has shuffled Clay Jannon away from life as a San Francisco web-design drone and into the aisles of Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore. But after a few days on the job, Clay discovers that the store is more curious than either its name or its gnomic owner might suggest. The customers are few, and they never seem to buy anything—instead, they “check out” large, obscure volumes from strange corners of the store. Suspicious, Clay engineers an analysis of the clientele’s behavior, seeking help from his variously talented friends. But when they bring their findings to Mr. Penumbra, they discover the bookstore’s secrets extend far beyond its walls.

And

Attachments
    Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder know that somebody is monitoring their work e-mail. (Everybody in the newsroom knows. It's company policy.) But they can't quite bring themselves to take it seriously. They go on sending each other endless and endlessly hilarious e-mails, discussing every aspect of their personal lives.
    Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill can't believe this is his job now- reading other people's e-mail. When he applied to be "internet security officer," he pictured himself building firewalls and crushing hackers- not writing up a report every time a sports reporter forwards a dirty joke.
    When Lincoln comes across Beth's and Jennifer's messages, he knows he should turn them in. But he can't help being entertained-and captivated-by their stories.
    By the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late to introduce himself.

I finished Greenwood's Bodies of Water in a fit of tears. It was so moving. I love a good book-induced cry.

Now I'm reading Wally Lamb's newest We Are Water (and I just now noticed the water thing - weird) and love it already. I just love his writing.
    After 27 years of marriage and three children, Anna Oh—wife, mother, outsider artist—has fallen in love with Viveca, the wealthy Manhattan art dealer who orchestrated her success. They plan to wed in the Oh family’s hometown of Three Rivers in Connecticut. But the wedding provokes some very mixed reactions and opens a Pandora’s Box of toxic secrets—dark and painful truths that have festered below the surface of the Ohs’ lives.

We Are Water is a layered portrait of marriage, family, and the inexorable need for understanding and connection, told in the alternating voices of the Ohs—nonconformist, Anna; her ex-husband, Orion, a psychologist; Ariane, the do-gooder daughter, and her twin, Andrew, the rebellious only son; and free-spirited Marissa, the youngest. It is also a portrait of modern America, exploring issues of class, changing social mores, the legacy of racial violence, and the nature of creativity and art.

With humor and compassion, Wally Lamb brilliantly captures the essence of human experience and the ways in which we search for love and meaning in our lives.
    Because that book is a huge hardcover, I had to pick something else to read in bed. I just started Christopher Moore's The Serpent of Venice, a kinf of kooky stitching together of The Merchant of Venice and Poe's "The Cask of Amontillado."
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I enjoyed We are water! Now i am reading The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. It's a huge book (800 pages) and it feels even longer. I can't say I am enjoying it, but I'm still curious to see how it ends...if it ever does.
    Critical likes this.

FORT Fogey

The Goldfinch certainly has some ups and downs, but is absolutely worth the work to get to the end! Keep it up DesertRose!!!!

I just finished The Goldfinch about a week ago. It was a difficult read. Even though I liked some of the characters, it was a frustrating book and the ending felt a little too didactic to me. It kept repeating the "lesson" over and over. I'm glad I read it, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to many people.
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Have you guys read anything else by Donna Tartt? Maybe it's just her writing style your not jibing with? I LOVE her style and I don't mind that it just takes a lot longer to read. Not everyone feels the same, I know. I loved The Goldfinch, although The Secret History is still my favorite of her books. With Tartt, I just enjoy the journey and don't care about the destination.

I'm over 120 pages into Lamb's We Are Water and I just love it. I have a bunch of things on my "to do" list and don't want to do anything but read this book! I enjoy various genres, but I really prefer books about people. Just people. Not mysteries or scifi or whatever. Just stories about people. Wally Lamb is, IMO, one of the best at that. I feel like I know the people in his books.

+ Reply to Thread