+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Just finished Charlaine Harris's first book in her new series. Midnight Crossroad, a novel of Midnight, Texas. It starts out quite well and reminds me why I started reading her. Ms. Harris is terrific at describing small towns and the quirky characters that live in them. I also enjoyed her Harper Connolly series.

Luarell K. Hamilton has a new Merry Gentry novel out; A Shiver of Light, and we had to wait 5 years for this installment. While the beginning of the book is interesting and moves quite well it and amazing there is no sex and a bit of plot or at least description, there is not constantly questioning of every minor little step that it takes 200 pages to walk across a room. But the story does stall about halfway and you do start to wonder what happened and then she pulls a Heinlein and drops a bit bomb and wraps up all the plot lines in literally the last 2 chapters.

Note: Robert Heinlein was famous for writing these massive books with complicated plots, twists and turns and lots of characters that he resolves in a paragraph or two in the last two pages leaving readers with WTF expressions and feelings about why did I devote my time and passion for the story for this lousy payoff.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

It was so hot last night that I couldn't sleep.I stayed up until about 3:30 am to finish Quindlen's Still Life With Breadcrumbs. Just lovely. For me, Quindlen is like a warm blanket. I just love her writing style.

I'm now back reading Barry Lencet's Japantown, which I got sidetracked from a few months ago. It's a murder mystery/thriller set in San Francisco and Japan with an antiques dealer as the main character. So far, much of the action takes place in SF, which is a city I love and know well, so it's fun to read and know exactly the locations he's talking about.
    inthegarden likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness, part 3 in the All Saints trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    It was so hot last night that I couldn't sleep.I stayed up until about 3:30 am to finish Quindlen's Still Life With Breadcrumbs. Just lovely. For me, Quindlen is like a warm blanket. I just love her writing style.
    I just read this today - warm blanket, indeed!
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

I just finished The Goldfinch, and thought it was amazing. A few days after finishing it, I still marvel over the way it was written. There are definitely times where it seemed like the book was dragging along. But after making it through a dragging section, I could understand why it was done the way it was, so I can't really complain about those parts. I had been told by a friend that the end had some fascinating observations about life, and I was so glad she told me that. Because of her tip, I really took my time reading the last 100 pages, making sure to take in the observations -- and they truly points that made you think. It's a long book, but one I'd certainly recommend!

That's on my list, but I've been putting it off because I heard it was long and dragged in spots.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

Don't put it off. There's more good than there is dragging. It's definitely worth it! Consider it to be like a 7 course meal that is very good, but with a couple of "filler" courses ... and one of the best desserts you've ever eaten!

Gut, Donna Tartt's writing is such that it does take longer to read. It took me months to finish The Goldfinch, but I didn't mind. I love her writing and I just enjoy the journey. I didn't think it dragged. It's not a fast read, but I thought it was more than worth it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I am about to start "Rise and Shine" by Anna Quindlen! I have never read anything by AQ! This looks awesome!

Just finishing up 'Daddy's Gone A Hunting' by Mary Higgins Clark! Which I have loved!
    KAREN

FORT Newbie

I just finished reading "The Steady Running of the Hour" which was an excellent book. I was not a fan of the ending, at all, and actually re-read the last 10 pages to see if I missed anything. It's a dual story, one half taking place in present day the other taking place during WW1. Tristan is supposedly the great-grandson on Imogen, and a large fortune was left to Imogen or her direct heir. Tristan goes all over Europe to look for proof. While he is doing that, we learn about Imogen and her love, Ashley who is a soldier in WW1 and an avid mountain climber, attempting to climb Everest.
    It was an excellent story, except for the last 10 pages.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Steady Running of the Hour: A Novel

+ Reply to Thread